[SOLVED] Confused on what BIOS update to choose for Z690-A Motherboard

Jan 28, 2024
Hello everyone! This is my 2nd post.

I have a Z690-A Motherboard, this is the first time I'm updating my BIOS.

I contacted ASUS Support on steps to update my BIOS, but they keep sending me back that I should, "update BIOS versions in order till I get to the latest" and then avoid all that and say, "update to the latest one"

The reason why I want to update my BIOS is because I don't have RAID PCH Settings and there's currently an issue with NVME'S M.2 Drivers changing to RAID Configuration Automatically

Should I just update to the version that would solve my issue first? Because doing 10 BIOS Updates just to get to the latest seems absurd? Also, does updating the Intel me after the BIOS Update affect anything? I can't update Intel ME since I can't boot up from my drive.

Solution
I've gone through each update version, but I can't seem to find anything on the lines of which updates are required before choosing other BIOS updates,

So I think updating to the latest one should be fine? I've also been a bit concerned if doing a huge update leap from the version I'm currently on all the way to the latest would cause any problems?
Doing a huge leap should be of no concern. The UEFI might look considerably different is all.

If it's possible, you should update to the most recent version. It doesn't seem like there is an older version you must install first.

Does ASUS have some utility you can use from Windows? I'm not sure how their process goes nowadays.
Confusing indeed.
Usually, updating to the very latest is the logical and best thing to do.
It will include all previous updates.

On occasion, a previous updates may have some code that enabled the installation of succeeding updates.
You might go through the chronological descriptions of what each update fixes.
If you find one that says something like" this is a prerequisite update for succeeding updates"
Start with that one.

Reactions: PEnns and civl23s
Jan 28, 2024
Confusing indeed.
Usually, updating to the very latest is the logical and best thing to do.
It will include all previous updates.

On occasion, a previous updates may have some code that enabled the installation of succeeding updates.
You might go through the chronological descriptions of what each update fixes.
If you find one that says something like" this is a prerequisite update for succeeding updates"
Start with that one.
I've gone through each update version, but I can't seem to find anything on the lines of which updates are required before choosing other BIOS updates,

So I think updating to the latest one should be fine? I've also been a bit concerned if doing a huge update leap from the version I'm currently on all the way to the latest would cause any problems?

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024

Doing a huge leap should be of no concern. The UEFI might look considerably different is all.

If it's possible, you should update to the most recent version. It doesn't seem like there is an older version you must install first.

Does ASUS have some utility you can use from Windows? I'm not sure how their process goes nowadays.

Reactions: civl23s
Solution
Jan 28, 2024

I successfully updated to version 2702 (just to play it safe), however it didn't fix the issue I have but I think I should make another post just for that.

I'm not sure but I think they do have some sort of software you can use from windows to update the BIOS and ME Firmware, but I currently can't boot into windows so, this might be a motherboard issue.

Surprisingly though I was on the oldest 0403 version, nothing really looks different

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
FWIW, I would avoid the windows based update system.
If there is any interruption to the update process, recovery can be difficult.
It is not something we do every day.
Agreed it's not something to do casualy. But i don't know why i'd use Qflash over Gigabyte's Control Center BIOS firmware update.

Obviously i'm using a Gigabyte board, and other manufacturers may be different. The GCC lists all available updates, and the user is allowed to check or uncheck the ones they want installed. I uncheck the BIOS update now because everything is ok.
I did perform one BIOS update (from version F3 to F8), and basically it was the same as any other update except the PC restarted, went into UEFI, displayed a notice not to turn off the PC for maybe a minute, then restarted again and booted normally into Windows.

This procedure seems as straightforward as BIOS flashing gets, so i'm curious why you'd advise against it?
I'm not 100% positive but i think Gigabyte also has some failsafe or recovery procedure as part of GCC. That's another reason to use it. No?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
No problem if all works.
But, sometimes you lose the internet during the process and have to do a recovery that you had not prepared for.
Ok, i haven't considered that as i'm using a cable. Gigabyte is smart enough to only apply the flash after downloading and extracting it, and then reseting the PC to UEFI*. Probably other manufacturers do the same.

*UEFI is in sort of "spectator mode". You cannot really do anything and are warned not to try, and not to turn off the PC.

This is what i meant by the process being as straightforward as flashing BIOS can be. And why i'm not sure i'd feel safer doing a manual upgrade.