confused swedish gal

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Which will "magically" work and you'll say "oh, well my ram must be crap!" But this may not be the case. It could simply be a compatability issue that MANY have had and fixed once the BIOS was updated.

Istaria: Sorry, mistyped, I meant to say IC, as in integrated circuit. Micron makes a lot of IC chips, especially for the "bigger" brand names. If you want to read OCZ's take on the issue, check this out:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22133&highlight=micron

That's the official OCZ support forum. It clearly mentions BIOS updates fixing the issues for both MSI and Asus motherboards, so I recommend you try that before you go spending more money on RAM you can't send back. I know its not the same brand, but just give it a shot. If that doesn't work, then you should probably send the RAM back.

Good luck!
She has already flashed to the latest BIOS as she indicated on page 2...

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Ah, so she did, I missed that one between mine and her other post. In that case, take MsB's advice, and if that doesn't work, take nobly's ;)

It just defies all logic that it is stable in one slot but not in the other three...

rob-uk

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
having read all of this thread there is one possiblity which no one else has mentioned. It would seem that this is an upgrade system but i dont see a new power supply on the list of items, an old power supply which isn't up to supplying the new components produces very strange results and could be the cause of this prob.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
If you can return the A-Data memory I would do it.

I would then spend a little extra and get this Corsair Dual Channel kit. The timings aren't as good as the A-Data, but you should run the board in dual channel. You may need to manually enter the 4-4-4-12 timings. READ YOUR MOTHERBOARD manual on how to do this. There is also a plethora of information available on the web on how to do this. I believe the voltage on this RAM is 1.8V. Again, consult your motherboard manual on how to change the RAM voltage settings.

Send back one of your extra motherboards to justify the extra cost of the RAM. Corsair's website indicated that this RAM will work with your ASUS board so I would get rid of the MSI board.

A lot of boards do require that you press F6 to install a SATA driver in order for Windows XP to see a drive on the SATA ports when installing Windows (regardless of whether or not you're setting up a RAID). You may need to do this. I would also stick to using your Windows XP SP1 install disk. Install SP2 (only SP2, do not re-install Windows using your SP2 Windows Install disk) after you have everything up and running.

EDIT: Also...what are you planning on using this machine for? You'd have been better off with one of the 7600GS cards instead of that 6600.

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
wow this thread got so many posts if i ever need immediate help im labeling my thread as "swedish girl needs help"

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This is honestly so funny! :lol: I've never seen so many posts so quickly. You guys jumped all over this one thats for sure. I'm going to email Istaria if I have any Conroe build questions. She'll be sure to find the answers. AHAHHAHAHAHA. Guys need to to get more here!

NaDa

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2004
ok.... this post is funny... got my attention.

One more thing I know is that ram doesnt run at exactly same frequency on all slots. It tends to run slower on the later slots. So if you have bad memory maybe it's working on slot 4 because it's working a bit slower so it can.
Try to lower your memory speed (by divider or fsb) to see if it's working in your other slots. This has helped me on an older Pentium 3 rig. I'm not sure if this applies to this new hardware.

Mike995

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Yes and im sure with your type of ego, you "get more".... seriously.... you are on this forum like everyone else. Dont consider your self any less nerdy. Yes this thread did get alot of attention in a small period of time, this is the truth. I came out of curiosity as I expect many others did. I came because im wondering if going to university there in 2 years is going to be worth it.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
This is honestly so funny! :lol: I've never seen so many posts so quickly. You guys jumped all over this one thats for sure. I'm going to email Istaria if I have any Conroe build questions. She'll be sure to find the answers. AHAHHAHAHAHA. Guys need to to get more here!

Yes, but it's a nice change from all the flaming around here.
That is, AMD and Intel fanboys, agree - Swedish girls are pleasant
on the eyes.

440bx

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Hello Sandra,

First of all, I think you should ask questions more often. The reaction you've caused is hilarious!

I suggest you proceed step-by-step to determine what is wrong with your system. The first thing is to verify that your memory is compatible with the motherboard you purchased. I attempted to find out but the A-Data web site does not even list your motherboard.

I suggest you contact A-Data's technical support at
http://www.adata.com.tw/adata_en/service_opinion.php

and ask them if the memory you purchased is compatible with your motherboard.

Hope That Helps (HTH)

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hello Sandra,

First of all, I think you should ask questions more often. The reaction you've caused is hilarious!

I suggest you proceed step-by-step to determine what is wrong with your system. The first thing is to verify that your memory is compatible with the motherboard you purchased. I attempted to find out but the A-Data web site does not even list your motherboard.

I suggest you contact A-Data's technical support at
http://www.adata.com.tw/adata_en/service_opinion.php

and ask them if the memory you purchased is compatible with your motherboard.

Hope That Helps (HTH)

hmmm.. yes the reactions on my thread has been many and somewhat cute :)

i can only beliewe that there arnt many fellow sisters on this forum, wich is sad, ther probably smarter than all of us, and dont need any help :lol:

im going to talk to A-datas techsupport and see what they have to say, thx for the advice :)

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
EDIT: Also...what are you planning on using this machine for? You'd have been better off with one of the 7600GS cards instead of that 6600.

hihi well im a Everquest2 player, and i only bought a cheap CPU and grafic card to start with, im goin to upgrade both of them (fx-62 cpu and 7900gtx)

sony3127

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
what does "none-micron IMC ram mean?
Beats me... but it still sounds like he's saying it's your RAM. I would just go and try to get some new RAM. One suggestion though, try to get two paired sticks instead of just one. (i.e. 2 x 512MB instead of just 1 x 1GB) That way you can operate in dual-channel and get a little power boost. Also, I could have SWORN that I read something a little while back about the new Athlon's requiring to have a dual-channel RAM setup, but I may be wrong on that. Hope this works for you! :)

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
For the love of christ...

To all of you, all over the forums, read the entire thread before you reply. Chances are, something said on page 1 was covered on page 2 or 3. If not, then, AND ONLY THEN, answer the question. Don't just keep repeating shit others have already said.

And, FYI you indeed ARE wrong.

prolfe

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Hi,
You said you flashed the BIOS with the "windows liveflash thingy" (which is the best name I've ever heard for it), but you also say that Windows won't install. Are you sure you have the most up-to-date BIOS?

sailer

Splendid
hmmm ive ran the memtest with the memory in each port.................
and in slot1 2 and 3 i recieved tones of errors emidietly!!! :(!!! but slot4 hasnt given me any error yet so far (its still running, and have ben running longer than in the previous slotts) .. what does this mean? that my notherboards ports are defect? or is it the ram?

... lets just say... i dont feel any smarter now than before :/

Sounds to me like a good indication of a bad motherboard. If the ram works out fine in slot 4, then its probably good. Another thing to do is to try the ram stick in someone else's computer and see if it works there. The non-Micron ram idea might be good, but then I'd suspect that it wouldn't work in any slot.

Oh yeah, I think Sweden is nice. My grandfather sailed out of Norway to America and though the area was beautiful. Lycka till!

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
it was my stupid pink ram module that was defect.. i went and bought another module from my local vendor, and tested it and it works fine on both my motherboards :)

i want to thank all of you that helped me out, bless you all :wink:
regards
sandra

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Well... after reading 3 pages of posts, I thought I could offer advice... and well... guess not anymore... internet troubleshooting at its finest. Only took 3 days =(

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
hihi well im a Everquest2 player, and i only bought a cheap CPU and grafic card to start with, im goin to upgrade both of them (fx-62 cpu and 7900gtx)

If you plan on getting the FX-62 later, I'd recommend the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU instead. Better or equal performance for less than half the price. Although it would require a new motherboard, it would still be much cheaper.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
it was my stupid pink ram module that was defect.. i went and bought another module from my local vendor, and tested it and it works fine on both my motherboards :)

i want to thank all of you that helped me out, bless you all :wink:
regards
sandra
Excellent, hope you have fun messing around with the new computer!
Let us know how it goes.
memtest wins! hehe

labortius

Distinguished
May 17, 2004
Well I and many others learnt a lot about the effect of sex on a thread..! It's been very educational.

Oh, and well done for getting your computer up again.

KcMsterpce

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
I know this is all over now, but I spent all day yesterday with this exact same error on MY board.

I found putting one of my two Kingston HyperX RAM sticks into bay 2 worked better for me. It no longer locked up the BIOS (after I updated to 0304 it started crashing for no reason).
I then manually adjusted voltage to 2.0V, but I'd still get the blue screen of death when trying to install WindowsXP.
I then underclocked the RAM down to 400, and now I am formatting the hard drive as we speak for a fresh WindowsXP install.

I couldn't find any hits on this exact error for my motherboard until now.

If there are further issues, I'll post them. If I FIX the issue, I'll post what was done.

Here are my specs in case someone else happens to Google up and find this thread:

Enermax Enertake II 600w PSU
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mobo
AMD64 x2 am2 5000+ CPU
Kingston HyperX DDR2/800 1GB (2 of them, but for now using one)
Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX2 vidcard
Western Digital 80GB 7200rpm IDE drive (yeah, I know, it's not SATA *gasp*!)

Asus M2N-SLI mobo