A-Data 1024mb 667mhz (1module)
- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=ADA3500CNBOX
AMD Athlon64 "Orleans" 3500+ 2.2GHz 512Kb Boxed (with cpu-cooler!) Socket AM2
- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=ASN6600SIL512
Nvidia 6600 grafic card
- http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/default.php?artId=WDR740SATA
WesternDigital 1000rpm 74gb
-520w PSU

now to the problem, i cant seem to install windows xp (i might be blond but i know how to do that :wink: )

ive testet 2 diffrent windows so far, xp pro sp1 and xp pro including sp1 and 2

i get the blue screen with diffrent error messages ever single time at random occations, they always apear when the "step by step" screen is up.

i managed to install it 1 time some how, but then i got error messages in every application (games-iexplorer etc) i ran aftar a random period of time.

im not realy good with computer parts, but i was thinking, since the motherboard ram sockets are dual ddr2, must i have 2 dual modules in order for it to work? cus i only have 1 stick on 667mhz 1024mb.

im realy clueless on what to do, pls help me :(

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I'd double check to make sure the RAM was in a correct slot, then run memtest86. http://www.memtest86.com/
This should diagnose your memory to make sure its running ok.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
It sounds like your having somekind of Hardware problem and by the looks of it it might have to do with your RAM memory, so first of all are you aware of how to go and check in the BIOS for settings? If not, since you only have 1 stick of memory, there's no way of maybe taking one out and testing to see if it's not a defective part, unless you have access to another stick of DDR2 RAM. Also are you familiar with DOS based diagnotic programs such as Memtest86? Because a lot of people had problems with memory compatibily of that platform...Also if possible can you list every item of your build with precise information such has brand, model etc? this would help to see what could be the problem.

kevinbaron

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
You don't need two sticks of ram for it to work. That was only true for RDRAM, which is no more. It's most likely a hardware issue. Taking it in to a shop would be the easiest way to fix it. Otherwise you may need to swap out hardware to see if it works with a different piece. Which might not be possible if you dont have extra motherboards arround that handle X2 chips. So really it's gonna be hard to find out what is the issue. try swapping hard drives and video cards to see if that is the issue first. If you have a ddr stick of ram, swap it for the DDR2 also.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
LOL so many answers in such a short time...Everybody wants to help the swedish dameselle in distress..Next time I want help i'll know what to put in the header of the thread.. :lol:

CNeufeld

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Did this setup ever work, or is it all brand new? Do you have any parts you can swap in, to try to troubleshoot what's defective? Can you get any support from the people who sold you the system?

The problem with "regular" users trying to troubleshoot a problem like this is that we usually can't just swap out the processor, memory, motherboard, etc, because we don't have spare parts kicking around. My first guess, however, would be bad memory. You should be able to run with one module, AFAIK.

Clint

CNeufeld

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
LOL so many answers in such a short time...Everybody wants to help the swedish dameselle in distress..Next time I want help i'll know what to put in the header of the thread.. :lol:

:) It's probably some guy name Guido, hanging on in the Bronx, wearing a sweaty tank top...

Some people know how to get attention. :)

Clint

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
hi and thx for the fast reply :)

im alittle familiar with bios and dos, i know the basics, abit more maby :)

sadly i dont have axess to any ddr2 modules exept my own.
so i cant swap them

i used this computer system konfiguratior to build my computer
http://www.datorbutiken.com/se/config/configfr.php?caller=menu&data=9016571&name=AM2%20PCIe/DDR2

so hopefully all them parts should be compatable with eachother :s
Maybe you could list the parts for those of us who are non-versed in the swedish language. :)
Another thought occurred to me to check the BIOS to make sure the RAM is running at the right timing and speed. Hopefully it has an Auto Detect feature.

It could be other components, but RAM is the most likely, so check that first.

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
oki...... check the speed of the ram.... what is the correct speed ?
i have also downloaded that memtest86 and burned it, gonna start it up as soon as i can

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
i have also downloaded that memtest86 and burned it, gonna start it up as soon as i can

You need to tell us what's the brand name and model of your RAM for us to be
able to give you some type of solution....

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Uhhh without seeing the BIOS its kind of hard.. It should say like 333Mhz or DDR2-667 or something like that.

Just run memtest first and see what falls out of that.

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
hmmm ive ran the memtest with the memory in each port.................
and in slot1 2 and 3 i recieved tones of errors emidietly!!! :(!!! but slot4 hasnt given me any error yet so far (its still running, and have ben running longer than in the previous slotts) .. what does this mean? that my notherboards ports are defect? or is it the ram?

... lets just say... i dont feel any smarter now than before :/

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Just something to try. I had a problem loading windows and got the BSOD. I removed one stick of ram and it loaded fine. I also set the block mode of the hard drive from auto to large in the bios. Once windows was installed I put the second stick back in and changed the bios back an everything worked fine.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
hmmm ive ran the memtest with the memory in each port.................
and in slot1 2 and 3 i recieved tones of errors emidietly!!! :(!!! but slot4 hasnt given me any error yet so far (its still running, and have ben running longer than in the previous slotts) .. what does this mean? that my notherboards ports are defect? or is it the ram?

... lets just say... i dont feel any smarter now than before :/
I would get some replacement RAM. I'd suspect the RAM before the motherboard RAM slots anyday.

A single stick of RAM should work fine in any of the slots.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004

Can u prove you're a swedish dameselle in distress - By
posting a picture of yourself -- we got to keep this forum honest -

Istaria

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
if your so curious:p i uploaded an avatar when i registered. dont know if it showes in my profile tho, says i have to make 100posts.

still no error showing up in ramslot4 gone 20 mins now

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Can u prove you're a swedish dameselle in distress - By
posting a picture of yourself -- we got to keep this forum honest -

:trophy: I wanted to ask earlier but felt that, after another poster pointed out that she may also be from the bronx in sweat pants and nowhere near swedish, it wasn't that good of an idea.. :lol:

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
Definitely sounds like your RAM - you shouldn't get errors from memtest. If it was the slot it's likely it wouldn't work at all. Get it swapped out and try again.

Although ... one more idea - it's possible that the CPU is overheating. Go into the BIOS, find the bit that shows the CPU temperature and watch it to see if it goes up over time. If it does, you need to reseat the heatsink / fan on the CPU. A long shot, but it's possible, as this would cause weird errors and crashes some time after you start to install Windows as it gets too hot. Also - check that the fan is plugged in to the motherboard and is actually turning round?