[SOLVED] Confusion around how much power my pc needs

Dec 5, 2019
Hi, i'm not very experienced with this sort of thing so excuse me if this doesn't make much sense.
I currently have an i5-7600k processor but am planning on upgrading to a 9700k. My current psu is rated at 450 watts, when i use a device to measure the power draw at the wall/plug the entire pc peaks at around just over 300W so i'm wondering if the 9700k uses more than 100 watts more than the 7600k and I need to upgrade the PSU. The reason i say i'm confused is that when i go to websites to estimate the power consumption of my system they give much higher numbers than what i get (438 watts compared to the 300 watts i get) so i'm just confused as to which one is accurate: me or these websites and whether i need a better psu.

Solution
Sorry i forgot to say those, I have a gtx 1080 (founders addition) and a corsair vs450W. I'd say it's all around 2.5 years old.
Wow, never would have used that power supply with a 1080 😧 at ALL let alone a 9700k. VS = Very S@!&$. New PSU all the way with a MINIMUM of 550 watts, preferred 650 if you can. Make sure you get a QUALITY PSU this time!
Hi, i'm not very experienced with this sort of thing so excuse me if this doesn't make much sense.
I currently have an i5-7600k processor but am planning on upgrading to a 9700k. My current psu is rated at 450 watts, when i use a device to measure the power draw at the wall/plug the entire pc peaks at around just over 300W so i'm wondering if the 9700k uses more than 100 watts more than the 7600k and I need to upgrade the PSU. The reason i say i'm confused is that when i go to websites to estimate the power consumption of my system they give much higher numbers than what i get (438 watts compared to the 300 watts i get) so i'm just confused as to which one is accurate: me or these websites and whether i need a better psu.
Your power usage will fluctuate and go higher if gaming and stressing your cpu and GPU. What is your current PSU? How old is it? What GPU are you using?

Dec 5, 2019
Your power usage will fluctuate and go higher if gaming and stressing your cpu and GPU. What is your current PSU? How old is it? What GPU are you using?
Sorry i forgot to say those, I have a gtx 1080 (founders addition) and a corsair vs450W. I'd say it's all around 2.5 years old.

Dec 5, 2019
Wow, never would have used that power supply with a 1080 😧 at ALL let alone a 9700k. VS = Very S@!&$. New PSU all the way with a MINIMUM of 550 watts, preferred 650 if you can. Make sure you get a QUALITY PSU this time!
haha. thx for answering, do you have any roccemendations? I saw a 650 watt corsair tx gold for £70 that looked like a good fit do you think it would be suitable?