Connect a SATA disk to a eSATA port

18pcs

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Hello eveyrone. I have a onetime need to connect a SATA disk externally to make a backup of its contents. Is it possible to connect this disk to the eSATA port on the ASUS P5Q Premium motherboard directly using a SATA cable or do I need a Caddy for the same ? Is it possible to plug in the disk after the computer has booted, this is important as I do not want windows to run chkdsk on the drive whilst booting. Thanks a lot for all advice.

r_manic

Administrator
Any SATA drive should work on an eSATA port. If that doesn't work though, it's a simple matter of opening up your PC case and connecting the hard disk to your mobo SATA port... before turning anything on of course.

18pcs

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Thanks for your reply. Maybe I havent clarified but I need to connect a drive after the machine has booted as I do not want windows to check this disk. It is a disk from a SKY TV + box and if windows chks it , it is no longer readable on the SKY box. Hence I need to hot swap it .

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
You can buy an external HDD 5.2drive which has a e-SATA connector. There are also aftermarket sata to e-sata connectors available. You would need to power your HDD in most cases however as the HDD is large and not the 2.5version which takes power from the USB rather an external outlet.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008

It is not possible to connect the drive directly to the eSATA port. You need some type of eSATA drive enclosure to put the drive into. eSATA uses a different cable in the first place and it does not supply power to run the hard drive from.

You have three choices:

1) Use a USB connection to a USB, external, case (limited to 32MB/second with unsure Standby capabilities)

2) eSATA (computer) to SATA: This requires an external case with a power connection. eSATA supplies both power and data, but if you only connect to a SATA connection (eSATA to SATA connector) then the power comes from the AC adapter instead of through the cable.

3) eSATA to eSATA. Since you have eSATA on the other end buying a device that supports this is a good idea.

Is it possible to plug in the disk after the computer has booted?

1) eSATA: Yes, it is hot-swappable if it is eSATA supported on both ends just like a USB thumb drive.

2) SATA: Yes, however you will need to enter the Device Manager and click "Scan for New Hardware" which will look, and find, your SATA drive. (Rebooting will also find the drive if it is connected and powered on)

Please note there are very new hard drives called "Advanced format Drives" from Western Digital and possibly others that require a special formatting for full performance. This is for XP. Vista, Windows 7 and later OSX support this automatically. The instructions for setup are included with the drives. I recommend getting one. If you don't format with the software you will lose about 10% of your usable space and the error correction will be 67% as good.

*An external SATA drive is treated exactly the same as an internal one if it has a SATA connection. eSATA is best as it is hot-swappable.

danielsnorri

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
How about this scenario;

PC with SIL3124 RAID on (PCI-Express) 4xESATA port on the back

now

next to it separate box with 1x or more SATA barracuda 2TB disks powered from its own ATX PSU (300W) and connected to SATA to eSATA bracket. So outside the box there is eSATA port connected via eSATA 1m cable to the PC with SIL3124.

hmm lets put it on the picture ;-)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78695065@N03/7045370995/

Practically it should work fine, some of you say that voltage is incompatible, so how to sort this problem out, what is so significant in those £300 ESATA ready made enclosures ? are there any solutions, extra appliances which can fix that VOLTAGE problem?

Regards

pikunsia

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
But what about if I want to put my 2 internal WD 750GB 2.5" SATA II HDDs of my notebook into a double encore and then connect it to my notebook eSATA "only" connector? I think such a connection is perfectly possible. But what kind of cable need I to do that? I read that 2.5" HDDs work at 5V and they don't need to be powered to 12V. Some opinions please? Thanks!