[SOLVED] Connect Cable Modem/Router/WiFi to Patch Closet in Another Room

Oct 8, 2019
In my home I have Ethernet runs to each room, and the cabling comes in to a central point in a closet to a Panduit mini-patch panel. From the patch panel I have short cables run to the DSL Modem/Router/WiFi. This configuration has worked for me for about 20 years. We have decided to change to another Internet provider (cable company) that uses a cable modem. The cable provider used the existing coax runs in the home to connect their Cable Modem/Router/WiFi device in my computer room/office.

Now I want to be able to connect my Ethernet runs from my closet to the new Cable Modem/Router/WiFi in the computer room/office. I want to run this by everyone to see if I'm thinking correctly.

I'm thinking of putting a small 8-port switch in the closet, and connect the Ethernet runs from each room from the patch panel to the switch, replacing the DSL Modem/Router/WiFi. Then connect an Ethernet cable from the Cable/Modem/Router/WiFi to an existing Ethernet wall jack in the computer room/office, and connect it to the switch from the patch panel.