[SOLVED] Connect Macbook to old TV with HDMI ?

Crane11

Honorable
Apr 12, 2015
I have some questions regarding buying a USB-C/Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter to connect my 2019 Macbook Pro to an older, non-smart TV.
  • Is there any difference between buying a USB-C(male) to HDMI(male) cable, vs a USB-C(male) to HDMI(female) then connect it with a HDMI(male) cable?
  • If I go with the former, and the adapter says "4k@30Hz", does it mean 60Hz on a lower resolution? My MBP is 2560x1600, but the TV is only 720p or 1080p, what'll be my resulting framerate?
  • If I go with the latter, do both cables need the same refresh rate?

Solution
The HDMI socket on the TV is female. It needs a male connector. You'd only want a female cable if it was an extension or a small dongle being plugged into a regular HDMI cable.

4K@30 hz means it'll likely be HDMI 1.4. It should do 1080p just fine. Although I'd get a proper USB C to HDMI 2.0 (4K@60hz). Because you'll want a 4K TV once you see how crummy text looks in macOS on a non HiDPI display.

Be sure to disable all image enhancements on the TV for the computer input. It may have a computer mode for the input to do it for you.
The HDMI socket on the TV is female. It needs a male connector. You'd only want a female cable if it was an extension or a small dongle being plugged into a regular HDMI cable.

4K@30 hz means it'll likely be HDMI 1.4. It should do 1080p just fine. Although I'd get a proper USB C to HDMI 2.0 (4K@60hz). Because you'll want a 4K TV once you see how crummy text looks in macOS on a non HiDPI display.

Be sure to disable all image enhancements on the TV for the computer input. It may have a computer mode for the input to do it for you.

Solution