Question Connecting 6 ARGB fans to the motherboard

silent_control

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2016
Hi, I would like to get 6 such fans for my case:

Current/Voltage:
0.4 A | 5 V

My motherboard has 2 ARGB (JRainbow) headers. According to the manual:

"The JRAINBOW connector supports up to 75 LEDs WS2812B Individually Addressable RGB LED strips (5V/Data/Ground) with the maximum power rating of 3A (5V). In the case of 20% brightness, the connector supports up to 200 LEDs."

So... if I make 2 pairs of serially linked 3 fans and connect each pair of three to its own JRainbow connector, will that work? Will it be safe? (according to the specs/manuals of course, because nothing can be guaranteed to be safe)

The electrical intensity (amperage) in each header will be 3*0.4 = 1.2A, so lower than the 3A of the header, right?

Solution
Quite right, no problem. In fact, the electrical load for lights only is low enough that all six could be connected to one JRAINBOW header: 6 x 0.4 = 2.4 A, less than 3.0 A. As an aside, the same goes for the motor power connections. Those are 0.11 A max per fan, or 0.66 A total, and the mobo fan header limit is 1.0 A. So you are free to make connections as you wish.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Quite right, no problem. In fact, the electrical load for lights only is low enough that all six could be connected to one JRAINBOW header: 6 x 0.4 = 2.4 A, less than 3.0 A. As an aside, the same goes for the motor power connections. Those are 0.11 A max per fan, or 0.66 A total, and the mobo fan header limit is 1.0 A. So you are free to make connections as you wish.

Reactions: silent_control
Solution