Question Connecting a monitor to B450 Tomahawk Max

Dec 31, 2019
I just built my first PC and am having trouble getting the monitor connected to the system to detect a signal. The monitor and cable work when tested on a different computer.
I have a Ryzen 5 2700 (which I know doesn't have integrated graphics), a Geforce 1660 Ti, Corsair Vengence LPX 16 GB, Samsung 860 EVO SSD, and a B450 Tomahawk Max. I do not have an optical drive installed.

None of the debug lights are on and the system powers on fine with GPU, CPU, PSU,and case fans working with background lighting on. Every thing is secured into place and connected. I have tried removing the motherboard battery (with power off of course) and waiting 5 min before putting it back in to do a CMOS reset. I have tried connecting the HDMI cable to the port on graphics card as well as on the motherboard.

This is my first journey into PC building and I am looking for some advice on how to solve this so I can proceed with the set up process.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
So just to confirm, you absolutely want to be connecting the monitor to the graphics card display outputs. Not the motherboard, those won't work without integrated graphics.

Once you have done verified this to be the case, clear your CMOS. Your motherboard manual will have instructions if you don't know how. Then see if you can get a display when you boot.

Last edited:
Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What power supply do you have?

Have you made sure all power cables are connected properly, cpu 8pin 12v, atx 24pin and especially pcie 8 pin to the rear of the 1660Ti? And if psu is modular (cables you plug into the psu), that these cables are also connected properly to the psu?

Which pcie slot is the gpu in? The first slot?

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Dec 31, 2019
The PSU is EVGA 650 GQ 650 and power is connected to the CPU, GPU and motherboard with the correct cables . The GPU is in the first slot and the HDMI cable is connected to the GPU.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's your storage setup?

If using sata drive, check power and data cable is connected.

Try, upon pressing the power button, repeatedly spam the enter bios key on the keyboard. Check manual which key it is, think it's delete but could be one of the F keys. Possibly try this as well connecting keyboard to a usb2 port.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe taking it to a pc store would be a good idea yea. Let us know what the problem was.

There are 2x usb 2 ports, try one of those. Usb 3 bios input should work on modern motherboards i would have thought but just in case your keyboard is unresponsive to input despite getting usb power.

Try boot without power/data connected to the ssd.

When spamming the keyboard, do so for a good 10 seconds or so.