Question connecting a virtualbox vm to the local network

Steviebone

Honorable
Nov 7, 2015
I am trying to move an existing physical server to a vm in virtualbox. I managed to get the OS image loaded and the machine boots just fine. I entered all the existing data into the nic settings but I cannot connect to the local LAN or the Internet. I'm not sure if I understand the network types. I am using the standard NAT setting, but the box will not connect to anything, local or WAN. I think I read somewhere that internet sharing must be on? The NAT translation between adapters is automatic right? Are the external addresses the same or do I need to redo all my firewall at the router?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I am new to virtual boxes and only somewhat experienced at general networking.

I am curious to what the real solution is, so I'll wait for those with experience to reply, but in the meantime my hunch is that that NAT translation is basically making a nat between the virtual machine and your actual network, so that it why none of the sharing functions are working. I don't think you need to touch anything on your router.