Connecting D-link Wireless AP to Belkin Wireless router

Help!

I've managed to set up wireless networks before using WLAN cards and
APs made by D-link but I was offered a wireless Belkin router when the
D-link DSL 604 was out of stock at my preferred supplier.

I'm trying to connect a group of PCs wirelessly up to my wireless
Belkin modem/router which is in another room. The group of PCs are all
hard wired to a switch which is then connceted to the D-link DWL
900AP+ access point. The Belkin device is giving me WAN access so I'm
really trying to bridge the two devices wirelessly.

I've tried to set them up logically, having all security switched off
to make sure that they can communicate at the lowest, most basic
level.

I've set them up to use the same channel and the same SSID.
The firewall on the router is switched off and any restrictions on the
Access Point and the router are all disabled.
They are on the same network (192.168.2.0)

The access point has a number of "modes":
..Access Point
..Wireless Client
..Wireless Bridge
..Multipoint Bridge
..Repeater

The default is "access point". There is no method to search for an
available network using this, though.
"Wireless client" allows for a "site survey" which DOES show my SSID
set up on the Belkin wireless modem/router.

The D-link manual does mention that the "wireless client", "wireless
bridge" and "multipoint bridge" modes MUST be communicating with other
D-link 900AP+ devices.

The last statement really means I don't have much choice but for
Access Point.

In "access point" mode, will I be able to have the router and D-link
AP communicate?

Is an access point purely a point for PCs with wireless cards to
communicate to?

No matter what I do, I can't ping my wireless modem/router. The D-link
access point doesn't seem to be connected to it any point.

Unfortunately, the wireless modem/router has no means of connecting or
searching for wireless networks either!

The firmware for both products has been updated (latest firmware
downloaded from each site).

I appreciate any posts in reply to this (no matter how brief).

- thanks!

You mention that you have a group of PCs connecting to a Switch which is
connected to the DWL-900AP+ and are trying to Bridge this over to your
Belkin router.

Is the DWL-900AP+ set in Bridge Mode? That's the only way it could possibly
work. However, Bridging and Repeating are not covered under the Wi-Fi
standards. Thus, different vendors may implement Bridging or Repeating in
different ways. So, there is no guarantee that this will work. It will
work as long as bot the AP (in Bridge Mode) and the Router are manufactured
by the same company.

Mike