Question Low GPU performance after big computer upgrade

slowcooldude

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017
Hi Ive just upgraded my old pc and now im getting worse performance than before. on 3d mark with my old set up i scored a 2100 adv is 2500. with my new set up i scored a 1800, with the adv being 2600.

old pc specs:
intel i7 8700k stock
rtx 2080 stock
16gb ddr4 @3000
750 gold psu

new pc specs:
Amd 7950x3d stock
rtx 2080 stock
32gb ddr5 @6000
750 gold psu

the highest my temps will get during the benchmark for the cpu is 82c and my gpu gets to around 81. im not super computer savy but i dont really get why performance would drop after an upgrade. any help would be great. if need some more information i can try my best and get it for you.

I presume that you moved your existing storage, and windows installation, from your old Intel build to your new AMD build. Whenever you do that, you'll want to re-install Windows. And the fact that your 7950X has 3D v-cache, is even more reason for a clean install, so that the Windows schedulers will acclimate to the cache located exclusively on one of the two CCDs on the CPU.

Hey there,

81c on the GPU is high-ish. When was the last time you gave it a good clean out. Might be worth repasting the thermal paste with some new stuff. In my mind, you should be no more than 75c max on the GPU if working as intended.

Agree with @rcald2000 re the OS. Hopefully you just didn't plonk the new system down and use the OS from the oldbuild. Recipe for bad performance and glitches and often crashes too.

Are all system drivers up to date? Chipset? This is important with Ryzen. WHat bios are you running on the mobo. Prob best to jump up to the latest one, as now doubt ther will be bug fixes, and performance enhancements to go with it.

slowcooldude

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017
I presume that you moved your existing storage, and windows installation, from your old Intel build to your new AMD build. Whenever you do that, you'll want to re-install Windows. And the fact that your 7950X has 3D v-cache, is even more reason for a clean install, so that the Windows schedulers will acclimate to the cache located exclusively on one of the two CCDs on the CPU.
i did a full wipe a reinstall of windows when i did the upgrade last night

slowcooldude

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017
Hey there,

81c on the GPU is high-ish. When was the last time you gave it a good clean out. Might be worth repasting the thermal paste with some new stuff. In my mind, you should be no more than 75c max on the GPU if working as intended.

Agree with @rcald2000 re the OS. Hopefully you just didn't plonk the new system down and use the OS from the oldbuild. Recipe for bad performance and glitches and often crashes too.

Are all system drivers up to date? Chipset? This is important with Ryzen. WHat bios are you running on the mobo. Prob best to jump up to the latest one, as now doubt ther will be bug fixes, and performance enhancements to go with it.
i can try cleaning out the gpu to see if that helps, should i just blow some air through it and clean it out that way? and im not sure what version of bios i have for the motherboard, how would i check that? when i did the install last night i went through and downloaded the new drivers for all the hardware, cpu gpu mb and did a full clean install of windows 10

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Really dumb question (almost afraid to ask it as the GPU is warming up), you're sure the monitor is plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard?

What motherboard model is it?

The next question, are you sure the CPU isn't throttling? How does it score on CPU performance testing? (Trying to isolate if the problem is CPU only.)

Reactions: artk2219

slowcooldude

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017
Really dumb question (almost afraid to ask it as the GPU is warming up), you're sure the monitor is plugged into the GPU and not the motherboard?

What motherboard model is it?

The next question, are you sure the CPU isn't throttling? How does it score on CPU performance testing? (Trying to isolate if the problem is CPU only.)
the monitor is plugged into the gpu, the mother board is a

ASUS TUF Gaming B650-PLUS WiFi Socket AM5 (LGA 1718) Ryzen 7000 ATX Gaming Motherboard the cpu scored 99 percentile. but i just did a test on farcry 5 and watched my temps on msi afterburner my gpu usage was at 100% and temp didnt get above 71c. although my cpu went to 90c and usage was jumping rapidly up and down between 99% and 2% according to msi i closed farcry and it dropped back down to 52c

i can try cleaning out the gpu to see if that helps, should i just blow some air through it and clean it out that way? and im not sure what version of bios i have for the motherboard, how would i check that? when i did the install last night i went through and downloaded the new drivers for all the hardware, cpu gpu mb and did a full clean install of windows 10
Yes, precisley. Compressed air is fine.

You can use CPU-z to check which bios you have. It will be on the mainboard tab.

Hi Ive just upgraded my old pc and now im getting worse performance than before. on 3d mark with my old set up i scored a 2100 adv is 2500. with my new set up i scored a 1800, with the adv being 2600.

old pc specs:
intel i7 8700k stock
rtx 2080 stock
16gb ddr4 @3000
750 gold psu

new pc specs:
Amd 7950x3d stock
rtx 2080 stock
32gb ddr5 @6000
750 gold psu

the highest my temps will get during the benchmark for the cpu is 82c and my gpu gets to around 81. im not super computer savy but i dont really get why performance would drop after an upgrade. any help would be great. if need some more information i can try my best and get it for you.

make sure bios is completely up to date on the motherboard.
be careful with compressed air as well as when the can gets to cold it can let out vapour

what cpu cooler are you using going into 90s can cause thermal throttling each cpus a bit diffrent.

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
make sure bios is completely up to date on the motherboard.
be careful with compressed air as well as when the can gets to cold it can let out vapour

what cpu cooler are you using going into 90s can cause thermal throttling each cpus a bit diffrent.
Agree with this, it might be throttling in game. I think the Hyper 212 (even though it's supposed to be good for 120/150 watts) might not be enough. Is the fan maxed out during CPU stress (sound like a plane taking off?

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
+1 for Thermalright, I have a i7-7700 that ran > 80c under load and when I installed a Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE (smaller, cheaper model - not good enough for your CPU) temps dropped to 61C MAX.

I'm not sure though if it will be that much better than the Hyper 212 (74.6 vs 71.5) in this review.

View: https://youtu.be/xHsBOSLOQ8U?si=wYOOfTKiej0D8U3j&t=356

that is nowhere near enough to cool that chip

youd need something more then that like

Thermalright PS120SE do you still have the old bracket backplate for amd ?

6 heatpipes at least

slowcooldude

Honorable
Oct 23, 2017
just Upgraded my Cooler to a noctua NH-D15 still getting some very high temps around 89c from the cpu. Im using HWiNFO to monitor the temps, that app says that the cpu never throttled itself nor the gpu so maybe good to go? i also triple checked im on the updated bios and chipset drivers for everything.

Jun 2, 2024
just Upgraded my Cooler to a noctua NH-D15 still getting some very high temps around 89c from the cpu. Im using HWiNFO to monitor the temps, that app says that the cpu never throttled itself nor the gpu so maybe good to go? i also triple checked im on the updated bios and chipset drivers for everything.
put chipset drivers from amd and not from asus