Question Connecting iPhone 14 to a PC --- files on phone become not inaccessible ?

__Alex__

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Hi,

I have tried to ask Apple Support and Apple Community, but no good answer was provided, so I hope to get some help here. A few months ago I got my very first Iphone, and I was looking forward to it (why are all Apple fans so excited about their phones while there are awesome Android alternatives?).

However, now there is this issue, which annoys me a lot. I have problems with copying files (pictures and videos) from my Iphone to my windows PC. Every time it is like a lottery - it might work in some cases, but usually it says "A device attached to the system is not functioning". In this case it is very strange - Itunes does see my Iphone, I can see different files and folders in DCIM folder, but I cannot copy anything. Also I cannot say "safely remove hardware" in Windows - it simply cannot see my Iphone.

But then when I turn off my computer while Iphone is still connected, then Iphone suddenly can ask me if I want to allow this computer to access the files.

I can restart the Iphone and the Windows computer, and then it might work, but only for some time (say, it can allow me to copy a file and then block the access). I am not sure what exactly makes it to block the access, but it could be copying a large file or if I simply try to access different folders, and then change views, sort etc.

I have recorded a short video which shows what exactly happens:

View: https://youtu.be/8R9pi90o00U

I have also experienced the following:
  • It says that some folders are empty even though they are not. Other folders are accessible and I can copy files (I have the folders: 202212__, 202301__, 202301_a, 202302__)
  • It cannot see the Iphone at all. If I go to This computer, it is not there, and there is no "safely remove hardware" thing in the bottom. But if I disconnect, then Windows gives me an error stating that the Iphone was disconnected.
-I have tried on two other PCs, and there was same problem. However, on a small surface Go 3, it could see small files, but not large files (e.g. a video of 4-5 gb). So it looked like the those specific files were not there.

I have tried using Microsoft's recommended way of copying the files (by using the App Pictures where one clicks on import):
Microsoft
But the issue is still there - when the files are not accessible, then this method does not work either.

I have tried to talk to Apple Support, post to Apple Community, and no good advices at all, just standard "Oh, do you have the latest version" and link to Microsoft's website above, "try to restore".

I have tried to reset and make a restore via ITunes on my PC - it worked to restore (no problem with connection while restoring), but then the same problem.

I have Iphone 14 pro, with IOS 16.3.1
Windows 10 with the latest updates
Original Apple's usb-c to lightning port from the box. Also tried with another similar cable.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot in advance!

Alex

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Only thing you could do, is hauling your phone to certified Apple repair center + paying premium to repair the damn thing (you could even bring your laptop to demonstrate the issue on site). IF they are willing to repair it. You could very well get an answer: "buy a new phone". <- Quite common with Apple repair centers.

why are all Apple fans so excited about their phones while there are awesome Android alternatives?

Smart thing to do would be selling it and going with any Android phone, e.g Samsung Galaxy A53 5G, and never looking back.

iPhone 14 Pro vs A53 5G comparison: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=11860&idPhone2=11268
iPhone 14 Pro costs 4x times more than A53 5G, but i can't see it being 4 times better. What i do see, is more-or-less equal specs, but far worse battery.

I know enough about Apple to not look towards any of their products. Also, i don't like the company mentality. Btw, my phone is Samsung Galaxy A52S 5G.

__Alex__

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
Hi. I found this article:
Link

It looks like the reason is the following. Apple uses its own formats for pictures and videos, and when opening files on a windows PC it tries to convert files to other formats. This is done in Settings -> Photos ->Transfer to MAC or PC : here one can choose between "automatic" and "keep originals". In case of automatic when the phone is connected, it shows formats which Windows understands, and the files take more space. For instance one video on my Iphone takes 4.5 gb . But if I switch to "keep originals", then Windows cannot open those files unless you have codec installed, but it looks like everything works much faster. The files also take less space . The video from before now takes 3.0 gb.

So, it looks like the problem is because something goes wrong while Iphone converts pictures and videos into standard formats. Maybe because I have some large videos. I guess this is a general problem on an Iphone and not because my device is damaged.

@Aeacus Thanks, and this is also the reason why I have tried to avoid Iphone before. But last year it performed very well across the competitors. Battery life, camera (especially video and night mode), stabilization, screen. So, I gave it a try.

Reactions: Aeacus

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So, it looks like the problem is because something goes wrong while Iphone converts pictures and videos into standard formats.

iPhone would make more sense when your PC uses MacOS rahter than Windows. Since then, the formats that phone uses are the same, standard ones, as MacOS is using.

So, I gave it a try.

Sure, you can try.

I've kept myself away from iPhones and Apple in general, to avoid the frustration they bring. I'm too old to spend time dealing with it.