[SOLVED] Connecting PSU to PC

Aug 26, 2021
I 'm helping my kid putting together his PC. He bought all the parts separately. Last part is the PSU, which works fine. But are not sure what other connections we need to make. There are too many cables and we don't know where they go.
We connected:
-the PSU to the wall
-the 24pin to the motherboard
-a CPU cable from PSU to the motherboard
-a SATA from PSU to fan (not working either)
-We didn't find anything on the graphics card to connect to.

I am sure we are doing something wrong. Any help?

Solution
Do you know the parts list? I may be able to help. You will want to find a video of putting together a computer. This is more than likely your guys' first time building a pc but your kid seems like they know their stuff about pcs. You will probably want to also try building the pc first outside of the case somewhere that wont have static, somewhere like ontop the motherboard box. Just have everything unplugged. Make sure you are careful with everything. The cpu pins are extremely fragile. you also need to have your ram in your motherboard. If the graphics card doesnt have any power pins/ports then it doesnt need it and it gets all its power from the motherboard's pcie port. Make sure you have your cpu cooler with thermal paste (usually...
Mar 4, 2021
Do you know the parts list? I may be able to help. You will want to find a video of putting together a computer. This is more than likely your guys' first time building a pc but your kid seems like they know their stuff about pcs. You will probably want to also try building the pc first outside of the case somewhere that wont have static, somewhere like ontop the motherboard box. Just have everything unplugged. Make sure you are careful with everything. The cpu pins are extremely fragile. you also need to have your ram in your motherboard. If the graphics card doesnt have any power pins/ports then it doesnt need it and it gets all its power from the motherboard's pcie port. Make sure you have your cpu cooler with thermal paste (usually cpus have that applied and make sure there is no plastic between either the cpu or cooler). Make sure you don't have any metal touch any of the computer parts like cable ends, screws. Take your time. If you need any more help, I don't really know what to say right now but just like i said find a tutorial on building a pc.

Solution
Aug 26, 2021
These are the parts:

Motherboard – z490
Graphics card – 1050ti
Cpu – intel core i5
Fans – RGB case fans
Cooler master CPU fan
PSU – CX650F

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just a small but important note. BEFORE you turn on any electrical power, check this. Did you check and verify the position of the small metal stand-offs UNDER the mobo?

Stand-offs are little metal (usually) items about ¼" long with a threaded hole in one end, and a threaded short shaft on the other. They are screwed into holes in the metal mounting plate down the right-hand side of the case. The the screws that hold the mobo to them are screwed into them through holes in the mobo, These establish a gap space between the mobo back side and the case mounting plate to prevent a short circuit.

Look at the mobo. Commonly there are nine mounting holes in it - -three rows of three holes. At each hole you should see small "fingers" of metal like petals around the hole. The design intent is that the mobo will be Grounded to the case by the mounting screws and underlying stand-offs ONLY at these holes. (Well, there are connections to Ground in the power cables, too.) But the mobo - especially the traces on the bottom side - must NEVER touch the case at other spots.

A case often arrives with the stand-offs pre-installed in the most common arrangement used in many mobos, but there are other patterns, too. So the case's mounting plate has many extra threaded holes for stand-offs. And sometimes the stand-offs are not pre-installed - they are in a bag and you must install them yourself. The MOST important thing is this: there should be a stand-off under every mobo mounting hole for support, but there must NEVER be a stand-off where there is NO mobo mounting hole.

Before installing a lot of stuff, temporarily place the mobo in the case positioned exactly where it will be finally. Examine every one of its mounting holes and verify that there is a stand-off directly under the hole and properly aligned. If any is in the wrong place, remove the mobo, unscrew the misplaced stand-off from the back plate, and reposition it to another threaded plate hole, then replace the mobo and check again. By doing this you can be sure the mobo WILL be supported free from the case mounting plate, and NOT in contact with anything except the stand-offs. Once this is complete, remove the mobo and proceed with all the other work.

DashingRiggs gave good advice above. Just an FYI. If you try to turn on your system with very little installed, it will NOT work, so don't panic. Normally you need to have at least these items installed for any sign of "life":
mobo
CPU WITH cooler and with its fan connected to the CPU_FAN header
one (or more) sticks of RAM in the correct slots
cable to connect video output to a monitor so you can see a display
PSU connected to mobo

Then you need some method to turn it on. You can connect the cable from your case's front panel to a mobo Front Panel header, and the use the case's On / Off pushbutton. OR, if you look up the details, you can use a srewdriver blade to short out (briefly) two particular pins on that mobo Front Panel header. (The case on / off pushbutton is simply a momentary-contact switch like a doorbell button - it does NOT have to be held in to keep things going.) If everything works, you should see some initial messages and then a display that says there is no way to boot up and you need to connect bootable media. This is good!