Connecting Speakers with 3.5 mm jack and USB powered to 32" Samsung LED TV

sunbong

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014
Hi, I have bought a pair of speakers which has 3.5 mm jack for audio input. However, it also uses the USB port for power. Now, my 32" Samsung LED TV has 1 USB port and 2 HDMI ports, apart from the 3.5 mm audio port. I use the USB port for connecting my external hard drive. How do I connect the speakers?

Solution

A hub doesn't care what kind of port it is plugged into. However I believe he was meaning a powered hub anyways, which supplies it's own power.

Either way, the standard for data USB (1.0 / 2.0) ports is 0.5 amp, USB 3.0 bumped this up to 0.9 amps. There is a seperate specification for dedicated charging ports. You speakers I'm guessing are meant to be plugged into a standard USB 2.0 port, which would mean pretty much any cell phone charger would output enough power for your speakers. Also note...

sunbong

Reputable
Apr 5, 2014

I have been told that usb hub won't work since only one port of the hub will function since it is a led tv.

A hub doesn't care what kind of port it is plugged into. However I believe he was meaning a powered hub anyways, which supplies it's own power.

Either way, the standard for data USB (1.0 / 2.0) ports is 0.5 amp, USB 3.0 bumped this up to 0.9 amps. There is a seperate specification for dedicated charging ports. You speakers I'm guessing are meant to be plugged into a standard USB 2.0 port, which would mean pretty much any cell phone charger would output enough power for your speakers. Also note you can use a stronger charger if you want (more won't make the speakers louder though), just has to be at least 0.5 amp rating.

Solution