Question Connecting two pcs and getting the "unidentified network" error.

idunnoy

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
So I'm connecting two computers, both on windows 10 1909, both having gigabit ethernet ports, and I'm getting unidentified network on both of them. I've tried updating the drivers, plugging them in and restarting both of them, I tried a different cable, but so far, nothing seems to work. they're both custom built computers.

if u didnt use router/switch and just plugged two PCs with single cable, than u will need to use cross ethernet cable
63Ry5.png

idunnoy

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
So I'm connecting two computers, both on windows 10 1909, both having gigabit ethernet ports, and I'm getting unidentified network on both of them. I've tried updating the drivers, plugging them in and restarting both of them, I tried a different cable, but so far, nothing seems to work. they're both custom built computers.
I'm trying to get an internet connection from one computer to the other. One has a wireless chip and the other doesn't.

go to network adapters, mark up both wifi and ethernet adapters, right click and bridge them together
your ethernet adapter will now comunicate with wifi adapter on same line, and other PC connected can connect to it
there will be no DHCP on ethernet
so u need to setup network mask, gateway, dns accordingly to your wifi adapter

here some more detailed guide
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10

idunnoy

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
go to network adapters, mark up both wifi and ethernet adapters, right click and bridge them together
your ethernet adapter will now comunicate with wifi adapter on same line, and other PC connected can connect to it
there will be no DHCP on ethernet
so u need to setup network mask, gateway, dns accordingly to your wifi adapter

here some more detailed guide
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10
whenever I set up the network bridge and add the ip, it works for a few seconds, and then disconnects both computers from wifi. I can't even access my router config.

just checked on mine pc
wifi cant use DHCP server, so small change here:
on taskbar, click on network icon -> wifi -> here click on SSID u connecting and select properties
scroll down to IP setings
and change DHCP to manual
tick ipv4 or 6
and setup ip there
different ip than bridge/other devices on network

idunnoy

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
just checked on mine pc
wifi cant use DHCP server, so small change here:
on taskbar, click on network icon -> wifi -> here click on SSID u connecting and select properties
scroll down to IP setings
and change DHCP to manual
tick ipv4 or 6
and setup ip there
different ip than bridge/other devices on network
I can't find what you're talking about. Are you referring to the wifi option in the change network adapter settings menu?

well..
open network adapters, click on properties on bridge
uncheck wifi from there, connect with wifi normally
run cmd (win+r -> cmd -> enter) and type ipconfig
go back to netowrk adapters -> bridge properties -> check wifi to be bridged again
setup ip for wifi manualy, to what u see in ipconfig for wifi a adapter from before

my guess would be either u used same ip as for bridge, or wrong subnet

You may want to lookup internet connection sharing (ICS) on microsoft site. There are all kinds of issues trying to just directly bridge a wifi connection to ethernet. The largest being that the encryption keys use the mac address of the wifi adapter. This prevents any other mac address from passing. Things like repeaters use a non standard function called WDS but I don't think windows support that.

ICS though is not some magic solution. It was designed back in they days when people wanted to share a dialup modem connection before the days of routers. They have added some support but it still is pretty basic functionality. It in effect make your pc act as a router. It will give out IP addresses to your other pc on the ethernet cable and then NAT/share the IP that the wifi adapter was given.

idunnoy

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
well..
go back to netowrk adapters -> bridge properties -> check wifi to be bridged again
setup ip for wifi manualy, to what u see in ipconfig for wifi a adapter from before

am I not supposed to use the ip adress I got from ipconfig in the setup of my bridge?
You may want to lookup internet connection sharing (ICS) on microsoft site. There are all kinds of issues trying to just directly bridge a wifi connection to ethernet. The largest being that the encryption keys use the mac address of the wifi adapter. This prevents any other mac address from passing. Things like repeaters use a non standard function called WDS but I don't think windows support that.

ICS though is not some magic solution. It was designed back in they days when people wanted to share a dialup modem connection before the days of routers. They have added some support but it still is pretty basic functionality. It in effect make your pc act as a router. It will give out IP addresses to your other pc on the ethernet cable and then NAT/share the IP that the wifi adapter was given.
I tried that, and once I set it up, it identified both of my networks, the shared one and my wifi adapter, as unidentified networks.

idunnoy

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
well..

I was using 192.168.100.137 for both

TRENDING THREADS