[SOLVED] Connecting VGA to GPU

Sep 10, 2020
I wanted to hook up my monitor to GPU, because I had it connected to the motherboard all the time. but the GPU VGA port is too large. Should i buy a adapter? (I want to have better performance while gaming)

Solution
If you don't need an active adapter (ie one with a converter) buying one is just a waste of money as you will see no picture improvements whatsoever.

If you've got any money to spare, a new monitor with DVI input would be worthwhile, then you won't need any kind of adapter. If your monitor only has VGA it's probably quite old so a new one should be a big improvement. Give it some consideration if you have the funds.
What model GPU do you have? It's most likely that that 'VGA' port is actually a DVI port. Check the specs of your GPU online and confirm the video port. There are definitely adapters for DVI to VGA. Like this:
819XlPnrWgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Please confirm the TYPE OF DVI port you have as there are different types of DVI - you can physically see this with the amount of pins.

kanewolf

Titan
I wanted to hook up my monitor to GPU, because I had it connected to the motherboard all the time. but the GPU VGA port is too large. Should i buy a adapter? (I want to have better performance while gaming)
The model of graphics card is very important. Newer graphics cards have removed that analog signal hardware. They are digital output ONLY. The adapter shown above will work for a DVI-I port. It has the 4 pins around the wide blade pin. A DVI-D (digital) port does not have those 4 pins and can't be converted to VGA with a simple adapter.
BUT, you should also verify that your monitor doesn't have a DVI port. That is a digial input connection and much better to use with modern graphics cards.

Sep 10, 2020
The model of graphics card is very important. Newer graphics cards have removed that analog signal hardware. They are digital output ONLY. The adapter shown above will work for a DVI-I port. It has the 4 pins around the wide blade pin. A DVI-D (digital) port does not have those 4 pins and can't be converted to VGA with a simple adapter.
BUT, you should also verify that your monitor doesn't have a DVI port. That is a digial input connection and much better to use with modern graphics cards.
I was wrong, just realized the larger port is DVI and not VGA. My GPU is GTX 950. I am new to the computer stuff so..

Sep 10, 2020
What model GPU do you have? It's most likely that that 'VGA' port is actually a DVI port. Check the specs of your GPU online and confirm the video port. There are definitely adapters for DVI to VGA. Like this:
819XlPnrWgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Please confirm the TYPE OF DVI port you have as there are different types of DVI - you can physically see this with the amount of pins.
I have a GTX 950, and you are right. I said that wrong, my GPU has a DVI and the cable is VGA. I am new to computer stuff so I am sorry for the mistake.

Sep 10, 2020
Does a VGA-DVI adapter have any downsides like delay or anything? Or is it better to buy a DVI cable and a DVI-VGA converter?
(Why i am asking? I want to connect my GTX 950 to monitor, but it has only DVI and monitor has only VGA.)

If you don't need an active adapter (ie one with a converter) buying one is just a waste of money as you will see no picture improvements whatsoever.

If you've got any money to spare, a new monitor with DVI input would be worthwhile, then you won't need any kind of adapter. If your monitor only has VGA it's probably quite old so a new one should be a big improvement. Give it some consideration if you have the funds.

Solution
Sep 10, 2020

I was considering upgrading to 144hz anyway, but when I go into task manager while playing it shows its using both iGPU and GPU. So does connecting to GPU make any difference in this case anyways?