Connecting via cable.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I have broadband speed problems. I have run checks. My provider will tell me that using wireless is slow. How much of a reduction when using WiFi? I would love to know.

What I have attempted is unplugging my USB adaptor from my desktop and using a long 10M cable. I can't get to the internet. What do I have to do? I thought unplugging the USB and connecting with a cable is all I need to do.

TIA

Desmond.

P.S. How much would I expect as a reduction using WiFi?

kanewolf

Titan
Unknown. You didn't provide any technical specs for your ISP package (speed you pay for), your router or your WIFI adapterm how many WIFI devices are active at once. If you pay for 5Mbit, then just about any WIFI can handle that without slowdown. If you have a 300Mbit ISP package, then WIFI might give you 1/2 to 1/4 that bandwidth depending on router and WIFI adapter.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
No specifications are required here. This is to do with unplugging a miniature TP-Link Wireless connector and connecting up to the router with a cable instead.

The second question is how much a reduction should you get if you flip a desk top PC from cable to WiFi.

ISP is Talk Talk, Fiber 38Meg, Fiber to the street, standard HG633Huawai router.

kanewolf

Titan
40Mbit service should be able to be handled by any N or AC router. Generally link rate will be 150Mbit or higher. That will support 70Mbit throughput.
There should be minimal differences. If you live in an area with a lot of WIFI sources and a lot of RF competition, then your WIFI throughput will be reduced.

kanewolf

Titan

You should not have to. Has the ethernet cable ever worked? Does the wired ethernet adapter show up in device manager? What does ipconfig /all tell you ?

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I have an Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard. When the cable is plugged in the Orange LED stays lit and the Orange LED is flashing away randomly. The router has no indication of what socket the cable is plugged into. The flashing LED would suggest that everything is ok on the network. Does it require a reboot?

I have an M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard. When the cable is plugged in the Orange LED stays lit and the Yellow LED is flashing away randomly. The router has no indiction of what socket the cable is plugged into.

Network adapters show TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter

Other Devices shows
Ethernet Controller (Yellow !)
Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controler (Yellow !)
Unknown Device (Yellow !)

This PC has had been connected to the internet by cable originaly.

I am using Windows 7 64 Bit.

IP config doesn't work if I un-plug USB.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I thought this was installed originally with windows 7. I don't remember installing the motherboard drivers. Can't find the DVD now. Got lost while moving. I have found this though...
http://www.asusdriversdownload.com/asus-drivers/asus-m5a78l-m-usb3-server-motherboard

But this list has raid drivers when this motherbord hasn't got it.

There are 3 Realtek LAN Drivers. Which one? If I install the wrong one will this cause irreversible problems? Drivers can do strange things.

The only identification on the motherboard is a long thin bar code paper strip with
581858-00900-MB09C0-A2H 2101