[SOLVED] Connecting wifi and ethernet bandwidth

Apr 5, 2020
I was wondering after getting a 1Gbps internet to my house the if on my desktop I could combine the connections of an ethernet wire and wifi connection together to get a combined bandwidth. I get around 500-600Mbps on cable and 250-300Mbps on wifi. I was wondering if I could combine these into one connection which the speed of around 750-900Mbps? I'm running windows 10 pro. If you need any more information just let me know.

Solution
I'm not expecting a full 1GB just to my computer as we have around 3 devices connected to the internet and this is split between all of them. I just thought that if I used the 2 connections on my computer maybe it would give me more of the bandwidth that we get to the house. I know from do in a bit of networking at uni that you will never the full speeds you pay for to 1 device it's always split between everything connected to the router
The bandwidth isn't "split". All devices have independent bandwidth to the router and shared bandwidth to the ISP. Even then the bandwidth to the ISP is shared OVER TIME. Unless another device is active at the same time, 100% of the bandwidth to the ISP is available to any device. For...
There is something wrong with your internet connection if you can only get 500-600 on ethernet . The connection between the router and your pc should easily be able to run 1gbit on ethernet.

It could just be because the ISP is doing the "up to" trick when they can't actually deliver gigabit speeds.

There is no method to combine wifi and ethernet. But lets say you a router and a PC that has the feature that lets you combine 2 ethernet connections. You would run 2gbit between the PC and the router and still only get 500-600 when you passed over the internet connection.

You need to see if the ISP has some issue. Try a different PC and see what speeds it can get on ethernet. It is unlikely but maybe something on your pc is limiting the speed.

Apr 5, 2020
There is something wrong with your internet connection if you can only get 500-600 on ethernet . The connection between the router and your pc should easily be able to run 1gbit on ethernet.

It could just be because the ISP is doing the "up to" trick when they can't actually deliver gigabit speeds.

There is no method to combine wifi and ethernet. But lets say you a router and a PC that has the feature that lets you combine 2 ethernet connections. You would run 2gbit between the PC and the router and still only get 500-600 when you passed over the internet connection.

You need to see if the ISP has some issue. Try a different PC and see what speeds it can get on ethernet. It is unlikely but maybe something on your pc is limiting the speed.
I'm not expecting a full 1GB just to my computer as we have around 3 devices connected to the internet and this is split between all of them. I just thought that if I used the 2 connections on my computer maybe it would give me more of the bandwidth that we get to the house. I know from do in a bit of networking at uni that you will never the full speeds you pay for to 1 device it's always split between everything connected to the router

As long as your computer can handle full gigabit speeds, you should be getting full gigabit speeds to your computer over a wired connection.

If you have two different isp connections, you can use a router with multi-wan capability to use both connections on the network, but there are caveats. The only company that makes routers that can 'bond' the connections into one is peplink.

kanewolf

Titan
The bandwidth isn't "split". All devices have independent bandwidth to the router and shared bandwidth to the ISP. Even then the bandwidth to the ISP is shared OVER TIME. Unless another device is active at the same time, 100% of the bandwidth to the ISP is available to any device. For example you could have two TVs streaming Netflix at say 10Mbit/s (total 20Mbit/s) and your PC decides to download Windows updates. You could have at least 800Mbit/s available to your PC.

You need to investigate your ISP connection more and your wired connection to your router. Your bandwidth could be limited by your motherboard hardware -- killer network adapters for example. Or a feature called Windows auto tuning -- https://www.thewindowsclub.com/window-auto-tuning-in-windows-10

Reactions: SamirD
Solution