[SOLVED] Connection Dropping randomly

levxd

Commendable
Aug 13, 2019
Hey there, Not sure where to start with this because Wifi problems are something I don't have often really.

I just moved into a new house with my parents in August, For the first few months the connection was perfect, but since the start of December, my connection has been dropping randomly, it either drops to very low speed or off completely for a second then comes back on again. The odd thing is that everyone else in the house has a perfect connection and no issues whatsoever, whereas my Rig is the only one having the issue. We have a good BT wifi package that guarantees wifi with lots of devices connected (yes I know this is a load of rubbish lol).

At this point, I feel that it may be my adapter, as my brother doesn't have an issue with his Gaming PC at all. I don't remember if I deleted, changed or installed anything that may have affected it but If someone could run me through how to maybe reset everything to default and diagnose what could be causing connection issues please do! Thank you

(Not sure what system info to give so please do ask and ill provide)

Solution
The problem is wifi is so sensitive to tiny changes in the environment. You can get huge difference in performance just because someone opens or closes a door to a room.

The card you have is good card and it is unlikely it failed. What is more likely is some neighbor installed some new equipment and is now stomping on your signals. Could be your machine is somehow more affected by the interference.

There is not a lot you can do. Maybe buy some antenna extension cables so you can get the antenna away from the back of your machine. The metal case on a desktop absorbs a huge amount of the wifi signals.

The old solution might work to change wifi channels on your router. Sometime you used to be able to find channels that...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

By "my adapter" do you mean a USB wireless network adapter? If so, feel the adapter before booting up.

Then monitor the adapter's temperature by carefully feeling the adapter every few minutes as you game and browse. Does the adapter get very warm or even hot?

Another thing you can do, again, if using an USB wireless network adapter is to use a USB extension cable to move the adapter up and away from the PC case. Two possible benefits: cooler air and improved transmission and reception.

Make and model network adapter? Wired, wireless?

levxd

Commendable
Aug 13, 2019
For sure, here is what I have

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz 4.20 GHz
System Model: MS-7A63
Motherboard: MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Z270
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.6 GB usable)
System type Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043)
PSU: Corsair RM850

Also, I called it an adapter when really I should have said network card, it is a TP-LINK Archer T9E, the Wireless one that slots into the motherboard. I had not moved my PC or touched the card at all.

The problem is wifi is so sensitive to tiny changes in the environment. You can get huge difference in performance just because someone opens or closes a door to a room.

The card you have is good card and it is unlikely it failed. What is more likely is some neighbor installed some new equipment and is now stomping on your signals. Could be your machine is somehow more affected by the interference.

There is not a lot you can do. Maybe buy some antenna extension cables so you can get the antenna away from the back of your machine. The metal case on a desktop absorbs a huge amount of the wifi signals.

The old solution might work to change wifi channels on your router. Sometime you used to be able to find channels that were less used. Now days with everyone putting in those stupid mesh repeater systems you have everyone trying to use every channel there is.

In the end the best option tends to be to try to not use wifi. If you have coax cable in both rooms you can consider MoCA. If not maybe powerline networks will work for you.

Reactions: levxd
Solution

levxd

Commendable
Aug 13, 2019

The old solution might work to change wifi channels on your router. Sometime you used to be able to find channels that were less used. Now days with everyone putting in those stupid mesh repeater systems you have everyone trying to use every channel there is.

In the end the best option tends to be to try to not use wifi. If you have coax cable in both rooms you can consider MoCA. If not maybe powerline networks will work for you.

Thanks for the tips! Sadly I can't do anything related to cable because my Parents are funny about having wires etc running through the house, not to mention they would not allow me to fit the cable myself it would have to be done by them or someone else which they can't be bothered to do aha. I'll definitely try changing channels and I will also try moving my PC away from my desk a little see if that helps. I just find it crazy that everyone else in the house, including my brother is getting a full stable connection apart from myself.

Another thing, is it doesn't seem to just be from my home network, it also seems to be super slow when using my Mobile Hotspot which usually works really well and has no problems.