[SOLVED] Connection not private after adding access point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pezzza

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
I'm trying to set up my second modem (Huawei HG659b) to extend the wifi signal of my primary modem (Netcomm NF18ACV) which is in the garage. I successfully turned off DHCP on the second modem, changed the IP to one outside of the primaries range and connected both via cable. And everything works great on my Mac (wired and wireless), and mobile.

However my laptop (Alienware R17, Win10, wired and wireless) gets a 'your connection is not private' error on 90% of Chrome pages, and has the same issue in other browsers. The Chrome error mentions 'nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com' which I believe is a safety feature of Microsoft365 accounts. Firefox mentions something about a 'root.home' causing the issue.

I tried factory resetting and re-flashing the second router to no avail. I've tried clearing all browser history, cookies etc to no avail and of course several resets of everything.

I have a fibre connection with Orcon in NZ if that matters.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try? Thank you!

Solution
That is a error related to the HTTPS encryption in the browser. I doubt it is anyway related to the wifi encryption. HTTPS was designed to solve many of the security issues running on a open wifi like at some public hotspots. It should not complain about the wifi even if it is setup with no security.

The vast majority of HTTPS errors are related to the date and time on your machine. After that you need to dig around the subcodes displayed but they can be very confusing. When you have micorsoft365 that really only affects microsoft office stuff and it is unlikely the direct cause since you have errors to other locations.
That is a error related to the HTTPS encryption in the browser. I doubt it is anyway related to the wifi encryption. HTTPS was designed to solve many of the security issues running on a open wifi like at some public hotspots. It should not complain about the wifi even if it is setup with no security.

The vast majority of HTTPS errors are related to the date and time on your machine. After that you need to dig around the subcodes displayed but they can be very confusing. When you have micorsoft365 that really only affects microsoft office stuff and it is unlikely the direct cause since you have errors to other locations.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

Pezzza

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
Thanks guys. When the second modem is turned off, the laptop is fine again. Only when the second modem is turned on the error appears.

Would this still possibly be time/date related?

It makes no sense a AP is completely transparent. All it pretty much does is convert the wifi to ethernet. It has no concept of encryption or browsers and even IP addresses.

That message means your are not running HTTPS web based sessions. The actually data is functioning and passing through the AP. It has to be something on the computer.

Pezzza

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
I agree that makes total sense. I'll keep digging around.

I have no third party security software installed, I've tripled checked the date and time, have all the latest Windows updates. Hmm.

Dec 26, 2021
I'm trying to set up my second modem (Huawei HG659b) to extend the wifi signal of my primary modem (Netcomm NF18ACV) which is in the garage. I successfully turned off DHCP on the second modem, changed the IP to one outside of the primaries range and connected both via cable. And everything works great on my Mac (wired and wireless), and mobile.

However my laptop (Alienware R17, Win10, wired and wireless) gets a 'your connection is not private' error on 90% of Chrome pages, and has the same issue in other browsers. The Chrome error mentions 'nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com' which I believe is a safety feature of Microsoft365 accounts. Firefox mentions something about a 'root.home' causing the issue.

I tried factory resetting and re-flashing the second router to no avail. I've tried clearing all browser history, cookies etc to no avail and of course several resets of everything.

I have a fibre connection with Orcon in NZ if that matters.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to try? Thank you!
Hey! I have the exact same problem after setting up a Huawei router as an access point. I get the same error each time i use it with my windows laptop, but it works fine with macbook or iphone.. Have you found any solution regarding this issue? please le me know asap.. Thank you in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.