Connection refused when trying to connect to router settings' page.

Chooboo

Honorable
May 26, 2014
Hello everyone,

Recently I found a problem when I wanted to see other PCs on my local network. I could see only myself and the wifi router even though there is one more PC connected to the router via ethernet and many more devices connected wirelessly.

Here comes the real issue. I assumed that to make those PCs visible, I would need to adjust the router settings somehow. I googled around a bit and found out how to find the address of the router settings' page. First thing I noticed was that for me the page(and the Default IPv4 Gateway) was 172.30.20.10, not the usual 192.168.x.1. I even tried to ping the default gateway and received a response. When I connected to the address, though, it immediately refused my attempt to connect(ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED).

My network is set up through a satellite, where I have a modem connected right before my wifi router, which is made by TP-LINK. I do not have any manual whatsoever to the router, as my father bought the router directly from our local ISP.

I really don't know what to do at this point, so I am looking forward to your replies.

Here is my ipconfig excerpt, I hope that it helps you in some way:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::10f5:255b:f8e1:685d%5
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 172.30.20.16
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.224
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.30.20.10

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:953c:2058:154e:6100:e5d6
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::2058:154e:6100:e5d6%2
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Solution
It could be that since it is an ISP owned router they have you blocked out and doing some routing tricks to help keep you locked out.
Is the wire from the modem going into the WAN port of the router, or a LAN port?

Sounds like A) this is your fathers internet connection and B) this is a leased router from ISP.

If you go the 2nd computer what is its IP? If it is also 172.30.20.x then see if you can ping the other computer?
I would say your trying to connect to the ISP side of the network, hence a refused connection.

Your home network should be connected to the router and that connected to the ISP modem.

Home network IP's should be 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x

Sounds more like the router is not setup correctly and the settings need checking.

To access router, you will need to set a static IP on PC which hopefully will get you in

IP : 192.168.1.10
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Gateway : 192.168.1.1
DNS : 192.168.1.1

Chooboo

Honorable
May 26, 2014

Thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately this did not solve the problem for me. When I set the static IP I was not able to get internet access at all. I tried to access the router settings through 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1, but did not have any luck with that, the pages just timed out.

The home network is connected just like that, sorry I didn't write it more clearly. I have the satellite -> modem -> wifi router with built-in switch -> cables to the two PCs.

I am starting to suspect that the ISP somehow blocked my access to the router settings, as about a year ago, before he updated the router software I was free to access the settings at 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 IPs. Anyway I would like to be able to change the properties of the router to my liking, as I am the one who owns it now.

It could be that since it is an ISP owned router they have you blocked out and doing some routing tricks to help keep you locked out.
Is the wire from the modem going into the WAN port of the router, or a LAN port?

Sounds like A) this is your fathers internet connection and B) this is a leased router from ISP.

If you go the 2nd computer what is its IP? If it is also 172.30.20.x then see if you can ping the other computer?

Solution