Question Connectivity Challenges in Raspberry Pi IoT Deployment

Dec 26, 2023
Hey community, It's been a while since I'm facing perplexing issues with my Raspberry Pi IoT project's connectivity. The Raspberry Pi, equipped with a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B and an ESP8266 module, intermittently loses connection to the IoT platform (using MQTT). I've ensured a stable power supply, revised network configurations, and thoroughly reviewed the Python code for potential errors. Despite these efforts, the connection disruptions persist. Interested to hear from the community about similar experiences or any specific troubleshooting steps to enhance the reliability of the IoT setup. Your expertise and advice would be invaluable!

OldSurferDude

Reputable
May 18, 2019
@Ronnie_ It's not clear how you have things hard connected (and, for that matter, software connected). I assume you have only one RPi, the 4b. Which ESP8266 do you have? NodeMCU? ESP-01? -12F?

How is the module connected to the RPi: WiFi? Serial Port? USB (NodeMCU).

You mention MQTT. Is the MQTT broker running on the RPi? another computer on your network? public MQTT broker?

It appears that you're following some website. It would be good to provide the link to the guide.

The intermittency you described can be caused by a multitude of goblins, particularly if you're using a public MQTT broker. The ESP8266 doesn't have a very good range. You're WiFi network could be overloaded. There could be abundant problems if the RPi is using its own WiFI and the ESP8266 WiFi.

So, a little more description

OSD