Considering a new PSU

kkwl

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
Hi guys, new member here!

Anyways I am deciding on getting a new PSU to replace my current one except I'm not sure what I should get for current setup:

AMD Phenom 2 940 (AM2+)
eVGA 730a
DDR2 ram (undecided but I might pick up some value ram, since I don't care about OCing)
1 Sata HDD
1 CD/DVD multi drive
1 8800GT (I have an extra 8800GT lying around, might consider going SLI later on)
Coolermaster HAF 932 (4 fans, 2x230mm (top & side), 2x120mm (front and rear)

Current PSU
Silverstone Earthwatts 550W (Forgot the exact name my bad)

There is a bit of a story behind this setup though and heres what happened with my old setup:
The old system was
DFI nF4 SLI-DR (used from ebay which replaced my eVGA NF4 mobo which I accidentally blew up 5 capacitors lol)
AMD Opteron 180
2 GB OCZ Premium RAM
8800GT
CD/DVD multi drive
SATA HDD

One day I decided to shut this system down, and the next day I came back home the machine would not turn on, after much troubleshooting (removing ram, hdd, gpu etc). I narrowed it down to a DRAM error (1 Long continuous beep D=), so even after trying each DRAM stick one by one in each slot my system refused to boot, it was at this point I decided that my motherboard was defective. Im also not sure if my PSU went bad or not but I used a PSU tester and everything checks to be fine, I just didn't have a voltmeter to check the voltages...

So after all this troubleshooting I decided to RMA my old EVGA board only to find out that they did not carry 939 mobos anymore (I forgot they were phased out a few years ago). So I was offered a replacement mobo either a 750i or the am2+ mobo, of course I went with the 730a because the 750i is somewhat outdated imo.

And that is my story for that system.

Back to my main question about the PSU, I'm looking at Antec or PC Power and Cooling but I don't want to spend too much, the only models I can find for PC Power & Cooling are 750W @ $149.99 CDN but there is more selection for Antec. I also might want to consider running SLI later on but not sure about power requirements for that.

Suggestions?

Solution

be careful about classifying PSU Quality by brand name. Antec, like most brands you ever heard of, have their PSU's built by 3rd party vendors and to my recollection at last count, Antec was using 4 different ones for their various lines.

Antec's SG line is "cream of the crop" with the Corsai HX line being it's most notable competition.
Antec's TP line is "next tier" with the Corsai TX line being the "same class" competition.

In between Antec has the CP line which is a great bargain for the hi quality but it only fits 3 cases.

With reference to...
If you meant the Antec Earthwatts 550 then your current configuration with one 8800 GT video card will run just fine as is. The Antec Earthwatts 550 is a very good quality power supply. Technical reviews are very favorable.

However, if you eventually want to use two video cards in dual operating mode, then start saving for a new power supply.

kkwl

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
I'll take a look into Antec ones since it is actually affordable for my lack of money atm I'm not too sure about the Corsair PSU's but they look nice and some of them are modular.

be careful about classifying PSU Quality by brand name. Antec, like most brands you ever heard of, have their PSU's built by 3rd party vendors and to my recollection at last count, Antec was using 4 different ones for their various lines.

Antec's SG line is "cream of the crop" with the Corsai HX line being it's most notable competition.
Antec's TP line is "next tier" with the Corsai TX line being the "same class" competition.

In between Antec has the CP line which is a great bargain for the hi quality but it only fits 3 cases.

With reference to your comment about Antec being cheaper, in the above lines at least, Corsair is generally less costly.

Whatever you pick, be sure to consult on line reviews from reputable sites ....a nd ya should use this to pick ya size.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

Solution