Question Persistent and random latency spikes in any game I play ?

Jul 9, 2024
Howdy gang, Pumpus here.

Well well, I've tried a lot of different things and it seems I am simply outmatched for the problem at hand.

For over a month now I have been having connection issues. It does not matter what game I play, (League of Legends, Escape from Tarkov, any steam multiplayer game) my latency will skyrocket to 600-800 ms at seemingly random times. I can go up to an hour without issue, or lag out 2-3 times in the span of 10 minutes. There appears to be no rhyme or reason. Have contacted ISP 4 times now, (consolidated communications) and they swear up and down its not on their end. This is after 2 technicians have been to my house, neither can find an issue. Changed out our router, looked at our pairs and the physical line connecting from their box to ours. All appears well.

Hmmmm okay. The problem gets escalated to their "NOC" department. This is their "behind the scenes people" so to speak. They reboot our network chip, that according to them a few of my neighbors are connected to as well?... (not sure what this means to be honest). Regardless this doesn't help . Okay they say, perhaps a problem with the shelf in the central office, which is also rebooted, again to no avail. At this point I'm told its in my hands, there's nothing else they can do for me. The guy literally goes "unofficially, if i were you I'd go with starlink" Alright. I simply don't have the funds for that.

I start scouring the internet looking for any and all fixes. Updated BIOS, multiple MULTIPLE commands in the command prompt. (among many other attempted fixes) and I find myself here. According to a fellow named bill001g I should try running the command tracet 8.8.8.8 so I do and find 9 "hops" the first being my IP, 3&4 being my ISP IP. So I open 3-4 commands prompts and start pinging my, and ISP's IP constantly. It was fine while I was gaming for about an hour and then I lag out due to my ping being too high. I tab out, and sure enough "hop 3" and "hop 4" is reading anywhere from 500 to 800 ping.

Two computers on the router, both wired. I've disconnected the other cord and I still get the same issues.

Help?

Last edited: