[SOLVED] Consistently bad ping spikes while playing games

May 17, 2021
Solution
The next step then it to try to locate the problem.

Run tracert 8.8.8.8. This likely will show no issues the purpose really is to get the IP addresses of the routers in the path.

To start with open a couple cmd windows and let a constant ping run to hop 1 (your router) and hop 2 (for most people the first ISP router). You want to see if you get spikes in these when the game is complaining.

You should not see issues to hop1 on ethernet if you do it is going to be some strange software thing. If hop 1 is good and hop 2 has issue then there is some problem with the line to your house. This normally though does not cause ping spikes you get packet loss.

A very common issue we have seen lately is this crap "gamer" network...

Lutfij

Titan
You mentioned the game, what game were you playing? Also, do you have an intermediary device between your networking adapter and your ISP? If a router, check and see if your router is pending any firmware updates. If you're wired, see if your motherboard is pending any BIOS updates and if your NIC performs slightly better with a reinstallation of it's driver. What OS are you working with?

Are you using wifi to connect your pc to your router.

What kind of internet is this, is it some kind of mobile broadband that uses radio for part of the connection.

This would not be a unexpected result from someone on wifi, wifi is subject to interference and that causes the delays.

Are you sure you or someone else in your house is not overloading your upload data rates. That will cause the data to be buffered and cause delays.

May 17, 2021
Are you using wifi to connect your pc to your router.

What kind of internet is this, is it some kind of mobile broadband that uses radio for part of the connection.

This would not be a unexpected result from someone on wifi, wifi is subject to interference and that causes the delays.

Are you sure you or someone else in your house is not overloading your upload data rates. That will cause the data to be buffered and cause delays.

I'm on ethernet, I'm not sure what type of internet I have, I know it's not satellite or fiber. I get the spikes whether someone is on the internet or not.

The next step then it to try to locate the problem.

Run tracert 8.8.8.8. This likely will show no issues the purpose really is to get the IP addresses of the routers in the path.

To start with open a couple cmd windows and let a constant ping run to hop 1 (your router) and hop 2 (for most people the first ISP router). You want to see if you get spikes in these when the game is complaining.

You should not see issues to hop1 on ethernet if you do it is going to be some strange software thing. If hop 1 is good and hop 2 has issue then there is some problem with the line to your house. This normally though does not cause ping spikes you get packet loss.

A very common issue we have seen lately is this crap "gamer" network software that is coming bundled with motherboards and video cards. Make sure you do not have any software that claims it give gamers better performace. It has many names but CFOSspeed is one you see fairly often. But any things that talks about QoS or network priority you need to look at consider uninstalling it. None of these programs can do anything about network programs outside the computer and if you have a network problem inside your computer you have some very strange programs running.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS