[SOLVED] Consistently freezing while gaming, audio continues but display locks up forcing me to restart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2022
EDIT/UPDATE: So my computer has been 100% stable for overclocking after disabling Logitech Gaming software from startup and not using it when gaming.
If you have symptoms similar to mine, disable any lighting control apps and see if your system becomes stable.

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-11700K at stock
CPU Cooler: CORSAIR - iCUE H100i
GPU: RX 6900xt
Mobo: GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE AX F6 Bios
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
RAM: 64GB Corsair
STORAGE: M.2 Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB
Seagate 4TB ST4000DM004-2CV104

Hey Guys,

Ive been tearing my hair out trying to figure out the problem with my system, I have replaced my power supply recently in a last ditch effort to hopefully deal with the issue as this has been plaguing me for a few months now going as far as running the . Mid gaming session my computer locks up, it doesn't matter if I'm playing League of Legends, Oxygen not included, Deep Rock Galactic, Wasteland 3, Valheim, Minecraft, New World, or Cyberpunk 2077. After peeping into my system logs I don't know if something is overheating as I haven't been lucky enough to log the failure. I have gone down the rabbit hole of looking into some of the event viewer logs but nothing is helping if it can help diagnose anything please let me know, I get event 125 (86) surrounding each forced shutdown which I thought might have indicated a throttling issue but I don't know.

General description of the crashes: Playing a game with a video going or in discord talking to friends, after 20 minutes my displays lock up audio continues on videos, inputs on keyboard or mouse do not register and the computer hangs indefinitely until I have to power it off. No voltage spikes from the wall, no breakers being tripped, my wattmeter isn't indicating any spikes in power.

I have reset the PC twice, drives are healthy, ram seems healthy, not really wanting to do reset again, any help would be appreciated. Hope the GPU is healthy have been able to go through several Heaven benchmarks without issue. Let me know anything else I can provide that might help a diagnosis.

Surrounding system events: View: https://imgur.com/a/k7X4lcT

Last edited:
Reactions: Wickedspyder
Solution
First thing I would do besides what is listed above is go to the startup menu and disable all programs that aren't necessary for the PC to work then just play a game and see if it still freezes. No discord, msi afterburner, LED control programs or anything.

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look in Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the time line format may prove helpful.

How consistent is that 20 minute lockup? Look in Task Scheduler for something being triggered at that time.

Look in Update History for any failed or problem updates.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but use only one tool at a time.

Launch the tool and move the window to one side or the other. Then game, etc. as normal while observing what the system is doing. Especially watch for some change or changes as the 20 minute mark (if applicable) nears.

Look for some unknown or unexpected app or utility running in the background.

Likewise pay attention to what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using or perhaps using up any given resource.

May take a bit of trial and error to get the observation window situated to spot what is going on.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) may also prove helpful.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Reactions: HDRANK
Oct 28, 2022
Take a look in Reliability History. Much more user friendly and the time line format may prove helpful.

How consistent is that 20 minute lockup? Look in Task Scheduler for something being triggered at that time.

Look in Update History for any failed or problem updates.

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but use only one tool at a time.

Launch the tool and move the window to one side or the other. Then game, etc. as normal while observing what the system is doing. Especially watch for some change or changes as the 20 minute mark (if applicable) nears.

Look for some unknown or unexpected app or utility running in the background.

Likewise pay attention to what system resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using or perhaps using up any given resource.

May take a bit of trial and error to get the observation window situated to spot what is going on.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) may also prove helpful.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

As far as the 20 minute mark its a rough estimate, before I updated to windows 11 yesterday there were times which I wouldn't be able to get through a league match without back to back crashes (2 within 40 minutes).

I'll make sure to have resource monitor open at the same time while gaming to see if I can find any continuity in the hang ups.

I did find a lot of gameinputsvc failing,
View: https://imgur.com/a/CAGeSiz

Oct 28, 2022
Oct 28, 2022
First thing I would do besides what is listed above is go to the startup menu and disable all programs that aren't necessary for the PC to work then just play a game and see if it still freezes. No discord, msi afterburner, LED control programs or anything.
Will do!

Oct 28, 2022
Any chance you have Razer Cortex on your computer. I had it for 2 ish years with no problems and then i started to experience almost exactly what you describe, uninstalling that portion of the razer suite fixed it.

Reactions: HDRANK
Oct 28, 2022
Any chance you have Razer Cortex on your computer. I had it for 2 ish years with no problems and then i started to experience almost exactly what you describe, uninstalling that portion of the razer suite fixed it.
I do not, I had some gigabyte software with the motherboard thats known to cause problems and already dealt with removing it.

Appreciate the input!

Oct 28, 2022
I don't understand why this has been working, I have not enabled Logitech Gaming Software to control my keyboard. I'm probably going to start another thread because this makes zero sense as to why having that process going creates instabilities in my system.

Nov 30, 2022
EDIT/UPDATE: So my computer has been 100% stable for overclocking after disabling Logitech Gaming software from startup and not using it when gaming.
If you have symptoms similar to mine, disable any lighting control apps and see if your system becomes stable.

I just registered to like and reply to this to help it get vision. I just started having this similar situation happen today with League of Legends and after finding this post and more importantly, this edit; I disabled the only app I had running with lighting control, and have yet to reencounter this issue. I hope this will help others as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.