Question Constant BSODS for 6 months, seems to be getting worse

Nov 20, 2022
Hi,

I've been having daily BSODS for about 6 months now that happen 2-3 hours after using the PC. I've checked hardware and completely reinstalled all of it, checked ram with memtest for 8 clears each stick, ran sfc scans, chkdsk, all turn up with no problems. I've reinstalled and updated all my drivers. Yesterday, I uninstalled windows and formatted my drive and did a clean windows install. I dont have any third party drivers installed right now on my pc, as I was trying to check if any drivers were causing the BSODs. Updated the bios to latest version. The problem now is that the PC BSODs within 1 minute of booting due to windows defender. I can't turn windows defender off either, as the virus and threat protection tab is just stuck on loading 'getting protection info', so I cant switch it off from settings. Ive tried switching it off through group policy, but the microsoft defender file is not present there. Also of note, when I run the pc in safe mode, it will still crash very consistently at about the 30 minute mark, which I assume is due to some memory related issue. Recently, it also just crashed instantly as soon as I booted into safe mode. Here are the minidump files from those crashes:

Heres the minidump for the windows defender crash: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GwEfvTO-i_KgG-Q3OquK8dZfMUthgJiv/view?usp=sharing

And here are some minidump files for crashing in safe mode: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1movnOttdQHABLWT9U40eMdhpKWQOnOtp?usp=sharing

Here's a minidump file from when i booted into safe mode and crashed instantly: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M3GJVuCnzbcK06GutXPL68F3A1uQ8FSW/view?usp=sharing
Thanks

Samil

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you crashing in safe mode its unlikely to be drivers
Defender

File: 112022-4328-01.dmp (Nov 20 2022 - 14:49:14)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

safe mode crashes (more out of curiosity)

File: 112022-6187-01.dmp (Nov 20 2022 - 15:31:28)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)]
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 02 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

File: 112022-4375-01.dmp (Nov 20 2022 - 15:19:15)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: msedge.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

second safe mode dump

File: 112022-5765-01.dmp (Nov 20 2022 - 17:01:37)
BugCheck: [KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (1E)]
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

@Darkbreeze
CPU - Ryzen 5 3500X
MB - Biostar B550MH (Bios 5.17)
16gb ram (Unknown - Bios has no idea)
GPU: AMD something

I can't see anything more
MY guess based on just specs is ram...

the last 2 dumps were in safe mode but others have too many drivers

not that it matters as if it crashes in safe mode, it means its not drivers... plus it survives reinstalls.

What make/model ram are you using?

Other angle, do you have a USB WIfi dongle?

Last edited:
If your BIOS has no idea what memory is installed, then I'd say it's maybe a good guess that there's a problem with the memory, but it could just as easily be a motherboard issue or something wrong with the CPU like bent pins.

Surely there are stickers on the memory with some kind of identifying information on them?

Was this a custom or prebuilt system? What is the model of the system if it was a prebuilt system? If it was custom built, then you should probably know what the memory is.

Reactions: Tac 25
Nov 20, 2022
Ram is Allied taskforce 2x8GB 3200 MHZ DDR4

Yes, I have 2 usb wifi dongles: the first one is for a steelseries wireless headset, and the second one is for a wireless logitech mouse

Colif

Win 11 Master
Nov 20, 2022
USB devices are less than a year old, no problems with them. I suspected that the USB related BSODS could be hardware related, as I recently reinstalled the motherboard, and was wondering if I perhaps damaged one of the usb headers on the motherboard for the front panel. I used another header instead to see if that was the problem, havent had a BSOD yet so that could be it. Ill see what happens.

Also I just remembered, I used to have a wifi adapter dongle that I would plug into the PC, and that caused my PC to boot up really slowly (10+ minutes), and would also cause BSODS, so I suspected that it could have been a hardware issue with the usb headers/cables/slots

If the ram was untested or incompatible, would that show up as any errors on memtest?

My guess is that it's super cheap memory only sold in some limited markets, because personally I've never heard of it before, or seen it installed in anything, and I've been doing this for like 35 years.

I can barely even find any information or reference to their memory at all EXCEPT on their own website, so that tells me it's not common, super cheap and probably not very good quality either. It also looks like mainly they sell custom and prebuilt systems so it might simply be somebody else's memory they've rebranded by slapping their own label on it.

Can you post some pictures of the memory and the label?