Question Constant Crashing and Microsoft GameInput: Windows or Hardware?

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
This issue appears related to Windows 11 Update and the Microsoft GameInput, but I am experiencing screen freezes and GPU Hardware failures as recorded in Reliability History. These crashes usually occur shortly after morning startup, but after a hard restart the computer operates fine for the rest of the day. Shut down at night, restart in the morning, and the issue returns. Unless there's a game or program related crash, I can play high demand games, run 3DMark to not great results but within the lower range for the setup, and other demands like Lightroom, PhotoShop,and DaVinci Resolve. All with no Hardware errors nor heat issues.

I do not believe the issue is my GPU. The only apparent constant at the time of crashes is Microsoft GameInput.

I have run SFC, Restore Health, clean reinstall of graphics driver, updated BIOS, and performed a clean install of Win 11 to no avail. The issue persists. No individual hardware test shows a problem.

I have read that renaming GameInput can disable it, but I'd rather not break something to fix something. It should function without delaying morning work and use.

Assistance will be greatly appreciated.

PC
i9-9900K
Gigabyte 2070 Super Windforce 3X OC
Gigabyte Z390-I AORUS Pro Wifi
32 GB 3200 RAM XMP / 3TB SSD and SATA Local Storage

Lutfij

Titan
clean reinstall of graphics driver
Can you walk us through how you did this?

and performed a clean install of Win 11 to no avail
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Your specs are incomplete, please list the specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

If you're working with SSD's it's a good idea to see if they have any firmware updates pending. As for your BIOS updates, can you state which version you're on at this moment of time? Please include the age of the PSU apart from the make and model of the unit.

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
clean reinstall of graphics driver
Can you walk us through how you did this?

and performed a clean install of Win 11 to no avail
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Your specs are incomplete, please list the specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

If you're working with SSD's it's a good idea to see if they have any firmware updates pending. As for your BIOS updates, can you state which version you're on at this moment of time? Please include the age of the PSU apart from the make and model of the unit.

NVIDIA GForce Experience Custom Install / Clean Install (check option for full removal of driver and fresh install. Game Ready Driver. Have not tried Studio Driver in relation to issue, but I do switch back and forth from time to time depending)
Microsoft Win 11 Media Creation Tool
All SSD/SATA Firmware up to date
BIOS Version F8
PSU same age as PC

CPU: Intel i9-9900K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390-I AORUS PRO WIFI
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16GBx2 3200 on XMP profile
SSD/HDD: (OS) M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB / (Storage) M.2 Intel [Solidigm] 665P 1TB / (Storage) SATA Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X
PSU: Stock NZXT 650w Gold
Chassis: NZXT H1 (2019) Pre-Built (Replaced Riser Cable)
OC: Windows 11
Monitor: LG Ultragear 27GL850 1440p, 144 Hz / ASUS PRO ART PA279 4K, 60Hz

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Use DDU instead of the option for clean install in the driver install window. When using DDU remove all drivers(non Nvidia) from the platform, then manually reinstall latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
Use DDU instead of the option for clean install in the driver install window. When using DDU remove all drivers(non Nvidia) from the platform, then manually reinstall latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Wouldn't I have done that with a clean install of Win11 needing the driver installed after?

Forgot my rule of running SFC after clean installs, so I ran it and found file errors. Restore health and verified to have none. Will see if it happens again later this morning.

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
If your system was tethered to the www during OS installation, the OS will automatically download drivers it thinks is right for your platform, which often/all times is the wrong driver.

Guru3D: "The current effect after you use this driver removal tool will be similar as if its the first time you install a new driver just like a fresh, clean install of Windows"
Must mean on an utterly new system. Not exactly clear wording and I've heard "yes, it's safe" before. Ran SFC again after clean install and found corrupt files now repaired. Will see what happens later this morning.

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
If your system was tethered to the www during OS installation, the OS will automatically download drivers it thinks is right for your platform, which often/all times is the wrong driver.

Performed the full GPU Driver removal via DDU. I also reinstalled the Driver directly via NVIDIA website download, not through Experience. I am still experiencing screen freezes and LiveKernal 141 event crashes. I am also now experiencing LedLib2 or RAM and Motherboard RGB related crashes/restarts. Could be the fault of RGB Fusion, but did not have this issue until clean Win 11 install and clean RGB Fusion install.

Still odd that I can run other demanding programs without GPU crashes, this seems to keep happening with Call of Duty MWII latest release, but I still experience crashes during general computing. Usually after startup, but had one occurrence later at night.

There's likely an actual hardware fault somewhere.

Endre

Reputable
Performed the full GPU Driver removal via DDU. I also reinstalled the Driver directly via NVIDIA website download, not through Experience. I am still experiencing screen freezes and LiveKernal 141 event crashes. I am also now experiencing LedLib2 or RAM and Motherboard RGB related crashes/restarts. Could be the fault of RGB Fusion, but did not have this issue until clean Win 11 install and clean RGB Fusion install.

Still odd that I can run other demanding programs without GPU crashes, this seems to keep happening with Call of Duty MWII latest release, but I still experience crashes during general computing. Usually after startup, but had one occurrence later at night.

There's likely an actual hardware fault somewhere.

Hello!

I'd try something else:
I'd borrow a video card from a friend and use it for a few days.
If that solves the issue, then it's your GPU at fault.

Colif

Win 11 Master
These crashes usually occur shortly after morning startup, but after a hard restart the computer operates fine for the rest of the day. Shut down at night, restart in the morning, and the issue returns.
curious
  • search for control panel and open it
  • change view to large icons
  • choose power options
  • click "choose what the power button does"
  • if Turn on fast startup is ticked,
  • click change settings that are currently unavailable
  • untick fast startup & click apply
if that fixes the need for a restart, the problem is a driver. You don't need fast startup on a system with nvme storage, it only helps hdd based systems.

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
curious
  • search for control panel and open it
  • change view to large icons
  • choose power options
  • click "choose what the power button does"
  • if Turn on fast startup is ticked,
  • click change settings that are currently unavailable
  • untick fast startup & click apply
if that fixes the need for a restart, the problem is a driver. You don't need fast startup on a system with nvme storage, it only helps hdd based systems.

Fast Startup is off. I thought that may be part of the issue and double checked. No change.

Gigabyte's RGB Fusion is noted for mucking up PC operations and causing crashes and BSOD. However, the PC did not have that issue until the clean Win11 Install and new install of RGB Fusion. The Liver Kernal 11 / GameInput GPU crashes started with Win 11 upgrade, but further watching of Event and Reliability show GameInput isn't always involved. I was hoping it was a software issue, but the more data I get the more it appears to be hardware.

However, I just performed a 3DMARK Time Spy Stress Test. It completed with a score of 99.5% and GPU and CPU temps never exceeded 80°C and 60°C respectively (consitent with Afterburner temps). I think my 3DMARK Benchmark was roughly 10,000*. Crashes say Hardware and some high demand apps crash, but not all and hardware tests say no... It's weird.

I am going to DDU remove the Game Ready Driver and see how the Studio driver performs. Studio is far more stable than Game Ready and I should just leave the GPU on Studio anyway, works just fine for gaming.

[EDIT] Viruses/Malware: Defender, Norton, and MalwareBytes say squeaky clean.
*3DMark Time Spy Benchmark Score: 9,865

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
RGB fusion is not good software, do you use it to control an rgb pattern? I have had it cause errors before (Have an Aorus mb) including a BSOD. I only install it now if I want to change the color of my rgb strip

its strange it works fine for rest of day after a restart if fast startup is off.
There shouldn't be any difference between Cold start and a restart then. That makes me question the PSU

I don't think its software. You aren't getting any BSOD. If it was a software error, you wouldn't just be looking in reliability history. Windows would be telling you in error form.

CPU: Intel i9-9900K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390-I AORUS PRO WIFI
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 16GBx2 3200 on XMP profile
SSD/HDD: (OS) M.2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB / (Storage) M.2 Intel [Solidigm] 665P 1TB / (Storage) SATA Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X
PSU: Stock NZXT 650w Gold
Chassis: NZXT H1 (2019) Pre-Built (Replaced Riser Cable)
OC: Windows 11
Monitor: LG Ultragear 27GL850 1440p, 144 Hz / ASUS PRO ART PA279 4K, 60Hz

what else? what peripherals? If gameinput running, perhaps its a controller?
Misbehaving USB devices can cause other things to not work.
Any old parts that have always worked before?

The last 2 times I have had hardware problems it turned out to be peripherals. Both times it took ages to figure out as it was causing other parts to play up, and I was blaming them, not the actual cause. Once it was my mouse and other was speakers.

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
RGB fusion is not good software, do you use it to control an rgb pattern? I have had it cause errors before (Have an Aorus mb) including a BSOD. I only install it now if I want to change the color of my rgb strip

its strange it works fine for rest of day after a restart if fast startup is off.
There shouldn't be any difference between Cold start and a restart then. That makes me question the PSU

I don't think its software. You aren't getting any BSOD. If it was a software error, you wouldn't just be looking in reliability history. Windows would be telling you in error form.

what else? what peripherals? If gameinput running, perhaps its a controller?
Misbehaving USB devices can cause other things to not work.
Any old parts that have always worked before?

The last 2 times I have had hardware problems it turned out to be peripherals. Both times it took ages to figure out as it was causing other parts to play up, and I was blaming them, not the actual cause. Once it was my mouse and other was speakers.

RGB Fusion: Static RAM/MOBO LED color. Thought I had to keep RGB Fusion installed, but appears not after uninstalling it. Good to know I don't have to keep it on the PC. Just kinda interesting that I had never had a problem with the software until after clean installs.

Crashes: My apologies, should have updated occurrences in the OP. The crashes requiring PC restart were morning only and shortly after boot, but I have had one occurrence much later in the day.

Peripheral: I don't use controllers unless a mouse is counted as a controller, but I still see GameImput running. Otherwise, all I have plugged in directly is a Logitech G703 Mouse + Wireless USB, USB/Head&Mic Hub (part of dual monitor stand from UPLIFT), Generic Apple Wired Earbud Headphones, and a Multi-Memory Card Reader. Logitech MX Master 3 Mouse and Logitech Craft Keyboard connected via Bluetooth. All are in perfect working order.

PC/Hardware: PC is roughly two years old and all parts are original except added RAM, Storage, and recall replaced Riser Cable. Early on in ownership the PSU did trip once, but never again since.

Studio Driver: Switched to Studio Driver and played several hours of Call of Duty MWII. Early game related software crash, played fine, but then started getting Lag (even with DLSS on) and what I am going to call attempted PC crashes. Screen lock up, but unlock shortly after. Will see if I get the same morning crashes as before, but I likely will.

I sadly agree that I don't think it's software anymore. At least it got through the GPU shortage.

Colif

Win 11 Master
GameInput is a next-generation input API that exposes input devices of all kinds through a single consistent interface.
GameInput exposes input from keyboards, mice, gamepads, and other game controllers

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/gdk/_content/gc/input/overviews/input-overview
so it could be a mouse or keyboard, based on what it controls.
Can't say I have seen Gameinput before, seems its used on Xbox games

I wonder if its just windows that needs a fix:
(I know you have run SFC but try running them in this order and see if it fixes anything)
right click start button

choose Terminal (admin)

If it doesn't open as powershell, choose the drop down arrow in title bar & pick from there

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

maybe some of the fixes here will help = https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...onfigure/2b6e248a-6c2f-44bc-b536-71a2b6a46aef

fun fact: it seems Gameinput been crashing on my pc since the 20th October. I only noticed as I ran reliability history and it showed me. I was not amused. I ran the 2 commands above and SFC said it repaired some files. I guess I look at reliability history in a few days and see if it fixed itself.

Try updating windows 11, latest version is 22621.755

seems its a common problem for a few months now. I wonder how I missed it.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-gameinput-crashing-pc

Last edited:

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/gaming/gdk/_content/gc/input/overviews/input-overview
so it could be a mouse or keyboard, based on what it controls.
Can't say I have seen Gameinput before, seems its used on Xbox games

I wonder if its just windows that needs a fix:
(I know you have run SFC but try running them in this order and see if it fixes anything)
right click start button

choose Terminal (admin)

If it doesn't open as powershell, choose the drop down arrow in title bar & pick from there

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11

maybe some of the fixes here will help = https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/piece-of-windows-crashing-game-input-reconfigure/2b6e248a-6c2f-44bc-b536-71a2b6a46aef

fun fact: it seems Gameinput been crashing on my pc since the 20th October. I only noticed as I ran reliability history and it showed me. I was not amused. I ran the 2 commands above and SFC said it repaired some files. I guess I look at reliability history in a few days and see if it fixed itself.

Try updating windows 11, latest version is 22621.755

seems its a common problem for a few months now. I wonder how I missed it.
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-gameinput-crashing-pc

Note: RGB Fusion is required to remain on PC for custom color settings to also remain.

Health/Driver:
I have already run all the health checkups and restore to no negative result. Re-ran to double check, files are healthy. I switched to Studio Driver last night and have not experienced the same morning crash as I have experienced every day for a while when running Game Ready. Could be a fluke, but I'll keep Studio Driver for now.

GameInput: From what I read, GameInput is like a central hub for peripherals like mouse and keyboard and game controller to connect through. My guess is that this centralization of input can conflict with each peripheral ultimately being registered as an independently operating device. The machine struggles to self identity and crashes... 0_0

Colif

Win 11 Master
Note: RGB Fusion is required to remain on PC for custom color settings to also remain.
Yes and no. I guess it could be different for all their boards. I can change 1 strip color on my PC and remove software and it stays the same, but I have noticed other strips on board don't work without the software. I can live with that
You could try this instead - https://www.signalrgb.com/devices/ - I would use it but most of my rgb is Corsair and I let Icue run that.

Game Input is crashing on almost every PC I look at now, so I am not sure its cause or just a coincidence. Its crashing on my pc and I can't tell unless I look in reliability history. Its why I suggested the scan and to run windows update.

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
Yes and no. I guess it could be different for all their boards. I can change 1 strip color on my PC and remove software and it stays the same, but I have noticed other strips on board don't work without the software. I can live with that
You could try this instead - https://www.signalrgb.com/devices/ - I would use it but most of my rgb is Corsair and I let Icue run that.

Game Input is crashing on almost every PC I look at now, so I am not sure its cause or just a coincidence. Its crashing on my pc and I can't tell unless I look in reliability history. Its why I suggested the scan and to run windows update.

I see. On the G.Skill Trident Z RAM and Gigabyte AORUS Z390-I mobo the RGB settings do not remain without Fusion. That said, after a removal and clean install of Fusion I am no longer experiencing Fusion related crashes.

Could just be coincidence, correlation, or both. I had several crashes where there was a hardware failure and GameInput failure at the same time, but other hardware crashes did not occur around the time of a GameInput failure.

Final Note: After switching from the Game Ready driver to the Studio driver on the GPU, I am no longer experiencing GPU Hardware failures. I did notice some flickering artifacts and stuttering on the desktop and in games at first, but those have gone away as well. There may still be something wrong with the GPU, which is causing conflict with Game Ready, conflicts evened out with a more stable driver, but as for now I am no longer anxious about replacing my PC.

Edited for spelling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colif

TRENDING THREADS