Question Constant Driver crash with 5700XT ?

Oct 9, 2021
Hello there.
I've been having video card problems for about a year and a half. From No Signal/Black Screen errors to wattman errors or driver errors. With the last changes I made, I got past the black screen error, but I still get the "driver timeout" error regularly.

I tried uninstalling and installing with DDU. I even blocked windows updates. I turned off fast boot in power settings. Maybe the problem is the PSU so I went and even bought an 850w psu, nothing has changed

Ryzen 5 3600x
ASRock Phantom gaming 5700XT OC
ASROCK B450M-HDV R4.0 motherboard
8GB 3200 MHz ram x2
XPG Core Reactor 850w

Lutfij

Titan
Can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely or does the system lock up? While here, take the time to see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. You don't need to block Windows Updates, per se, you just need to remove the Ethernet cable(if you're getting internet wired to your desktop) or not connect to a WiFi during OS installation. As for the OS, what version of Windows 10 are you currently on? Did you create your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

You mention the PSU probably being the issue and buying another unit, what PSU were you on prior to the XPG Core Reactor 850W unit?

Oct 9, 2021
Can you get into BIOS and remain there indefinitely or does the system lock up? While here, take the time to see what BIOS version you're on at the time of writing. You don't need to block Windows Updates, per se, you just need to remove the Ethernet cable(if you're getting internet wired to your desktop) or not connect to a WiFi during OS installation. As for the OS, what version of Windows 10 are you currently on? Did you create your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools?

You mention the PSU probably being the issue and buying another unit, what PSU were you on prior to the XPG Core Reactor 850W unit?

Hello.

1. I can be in bios without a problem. System doesnt lock up when im in bios. I cant remember the bios version but i never update it. its on stock version. (should i update them?)

2. Win 10 version is 19043.1320. Yes i install win 10 via usb if its that what you asking.

3. Yes right now im using XPG Core Reactor 850W. My old psu was 550W.

One of my friends suggested that I install the radeon drivers after I let windows 10 install its own display driver.

According to his theory, driver crashes occur because Windows tries to install his own driver without stopping in the background. This method seems to have worked for him. He has been using it for 3 months without any problems. I'm trying that method right now. (so basicly i uninstall all gpu drivers with safe boot DDU then i let windows 10 install his own display driver. Then i install the latest one.) But I was also curious about your opinion on this matter.

(also when you say "remove ethernet cable during OS installation" did you try to say when i install win 10 or the win 10 updates im kinda lost on there)

Thank you for the help !

Last edited:
I've seen this before with the RX 5700 XT.
Unfortunately, AMD was very aggressive on the required thermal cooling capacity specs of this GPU. The result is that it can regularly get too hot. Try undervolting or using radeon chill to limit your FPS. This is just for testing to see if the issue gets much better or goes away completely.

Oct 9, 2021
I've seen this before with the RX 5700 XT.
Unfortunately, AMD was very aggressive on the required thermal cooling capacity specs of this GPU. The result is that it can regularly get too hot. Try undervolting or using radeon chill to limit your FPS. This is just for testing to see if the issue gets much better or goes away completely.

My GPU temps never pass 60-65 degrees. 70 top on rarely. (the reason is undervolt it and set a fps limit.) but its still happening

Oct 9, 2021
Are you using a daisy-chained aux power or 2 separate cables from the power supply?
Whichever you are using, switch to the other and see what happens.

I tried both didnt change anything. Right now im using 2 separate cables. Somehow its more stable but still im getting crash

Latest posts