[SOLVED] Constant hitches and Internet problems with new build (Ryzen 3600)

Bloody George

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Hi everyone!
I've looked for the same problems as mine elsewhere but nobody seems to have the exact same symptoms. Let me explain what is going on.
So I upgraded my rig to a Ryzen 5 3600 with an MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard. Both parts arrived today; I assembled everything with the rest of the components I already had and fired it up. It booted up, went into Windows 10 and I realised something was wrong. These were a few problems that I noticed:

• The system kept freezing for 2-3 seconds every once in a while, especially when I minimised programmes or tried to access a website;
  • I say "tried" because my Internet connection is unstable as all hell. It works for a few seconds after I restart the system then it goes offline for good. Tried it with both an ethernet cable and a wireless adapter, both of which worked fine in my previous build;
  • Gaming was hitching too every once in a while. After a few changes in RAM slots, it's running fine (I only tried Skyrim Special Edition);
  • When I shut it down, the screen goes black and the actual PC takes 2-3 minutes to really turn off - same with restart;
A few observations I think you should know:
  • My B450 mobo came with upgraded BIOS to accomodate the 3rd gen Ryzen chip from the store;
  • My two 8GB memory sticks run at different speeds (one at 2133mhz and the other at 2400mhz), but both equalise at 2133mhz when I run the system;
  • Despite that, I'm currently running my OS with just the one 2400mhz stick in order to avoid more problems, although this hasn't changed anything;
Do you have any idea of what the issue could be? I spent the whole afternoon just trying to make the Internet connection work, without success. Which is why I'm sending you this message from a computer at my university.

Oh, and these are my specs:
MSI B450 Tomahawk motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600, using stock cooler
16GB HyperX Fury RAM (although I'm only running one 8GB stick at 2400mhz ATM)
Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro
Corsair CX600 power supply
Aerocool Cylon case
Windows 10 installed in a Kingston A400 480GB SSD

Last edited:

Bloody George

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
fresh os install on the system?

Will do. Believe it or not, but I have no flash drive here. I asked a friend - who also doesn't have one - to bring his hard drive so I could be sure the problem was with the OS. His Windows 10 is behaving normally so far, with Internet connection, although another strange thing started to happen. The stock cooler now keeps ramping up and down, although the utilisation never goes beyond 35ish% (using browser and simple tasks).
Is it normal for Ryzen coolers to behave like this?