Question Constant NVIDIA Driver/PC Crash on Clean Windows and Linux Installations

Aug 6, 2024
So I have this weird problem with a GTX 1650 Super. Currently I have the card in an OptiPlex and a Xeon CPU, so no iGPU. I had it running 2 years ago as a jellyfin server with HW encoding without a desktop environment and it was working fine. Now I wanted to try some games on it, so I installed windows 10 on a new samsung ssd and everything went well untill windows installed the NVIDIA driver through windows updates. After all the updates were done, I restarted the PC. It booted normally and and reached the desktop. The moment I opened the settings it freezed and 2 seconds later it automatically restarted. After the restart I opened the file explorer and browesed thorugh the files and and nothing happend, but as soon as I opened the settings againg it froze and restarted. this happens also the Edge and other apps. So I installed Ubuntu and the the drivers and the same thing happended there as well. Desktop and file manager work, settings and firefox freeze the whole PC but doesn't automatically restart, I need to power it off manually. I tried windows 11 and 11 iot ltsc and it carashes as soon as the drivers are installed. I tried an SSD from an old laptop with NVIDIA GT 710m GPU and it booted normally and windows installed the drivers with out a crash and I then installed the drivers from the NVIDIA website and everything thing is running smoothly. I ran a 30 min stress test and everything was perfect.

So what could be the reaseon for that?