Question Constant Restarting, Impossible to install windows

GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
Constant Restart, impossible to install windows
Hello,

So my pc started restarting without me asking it to, there was no clear pattern as to why. I ran the following commands: sfc/scannow and chkdsk C: /r these showed that my drive where windows was installed on was damaged or corrupted. I ordered a new drive and tried to install windows on it but whenever I got to the first screen (logo and loading dots) it would restart. This went into a non stop cycle if I didnt shut it off. I tried a bios update to no avail. My friend (who has a good amount of PC knowledge) and I decided that It was probably a mobo issue and I bought a new mobo of the same model. It didn't change anything. I made a breakthrough when I unplugged the case electronics and I managed to get to the "select drive to install windows on" phase of the set up before it restarted... again. After that I have not made further than the loading screen. I am able to make it into bios without a problem.I would be forever thankfull for any help I could get with this.
Here are my specs in case they help:
mobo: msi B450 Tomahawk Max
cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 6-core
gpu: TUF Gaming GTX 1660
psu: Corsair cx450M
ram: Corsair Vengance lpx DDR4 3200Mhz 2x8gb

Efrain96

Distinguished
May 11, 2014
Hello GundalfTheGrey,

If your computer is shutting off, or restarting suddenly, it may be a power issue. I am seeing that the PSU you have is supposed to be the recommended, or minimum, depends who you ask, for the graphics card. You may want to consider getting a higher wattage, higher efficiency power supply. It might not be receiving enough power to run everything once it starts to draw more power needed for booting up. Maybe your power supply is starting to fail. Has the computer been running fine before? If it has, for how long, and when did it start showing this erratic behavior?

GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
can you jump into the BIOS and reset everything to defaults? (not every B450 mainboard with every R5-3600XT is stable at 3200 MHz..)

Maybe test for stability with one RAM stick at a time at the lower default 2133 MHz...
Hey, mdd1963,
Thanks for the suggestion! The RAM has been running at 2133 Mhz during this whole ordeal in BIOS. I have tested each one of the sticks and the issues persist.

GundalfTheGrey

Prominent
Mar 18, 2022
Hello GundalfTheGrey,

If your computer is shutting off, or restarting suddenly, it may be a power issue. I am seeing that the PSU you have is supposed to be the recommended, or minimum, depends who you ask, for the graphics card. You may want to consider getting a higher wattage, higher efficiency power supply. It might not be receiving enough power to run everything once it starts to draw more power needed for booting up. Maybe your power supply is starting to fail. Has the computer been running fine before? If it has, for how long, and when did it start showing this erratic behavior?
Hey, Efrain96,
That could be it, however, I have only been having these problems for just over 1 week. I built this pc in December of 2020. Up until now, it has been running smoothly. I hope this helps. Thanks for the help.

Gundalf