madregoose

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hey guys. For some odd reason, i can't go on the internet without it taking me to the Netgear setup wizard and it makes me do the WHOLE setup. After doing so, the internet will work for about 2 minutes then i'll somehow lose internet and have to do the wizard again.

It seems to remember my username and password. But it just constantly takes me offline and makes me do the setup wizard

What could it be?

madregoose

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Are you saving the settings before exiting and logging off -- or are you just closing the browser page ?

I just tried that. It saves correctly, then i log off the wizard and log back in. Still shows it's saved, but then when i log out it takes me BACK to the start up wizard. I disabled wireless security to see if it will change. (But i'm not using wireless.

madregoose

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
My router doesn't have a reset button. I did detach the main power cable and put it back in (then of course i redid the setup wizard)

Everything was running fine till i opened up utorrent to download a file, i quickly lost my internet connection and had to do the setup wizard again.

Might just go to comcast and get a new router.

G

Check the Netgear manual -- I've yet to encounter a mainstream router that lacked a reset button (usually concealed behind a pinhole).

madregoose

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Check the Netgear manual -- I've yet to encounter a mainstream router that lacked a reset button (usually concealed behind a pinhole).

Yeah i looked all over, it only has the option to unplug the main power connection.

I feel like if i replace the router, it'll still give me problems. Just not sure what is

And i don't have the manual :/

There should be a firmware update for the router somewhere. Often times you can do it right from within the router, but you need to be online long enough for that. Of you may be able to download the file for it elsewhere and point the router to it for the update.

However you may have a hardware issue where it just does not keep any settings. If the firmware update fails to cure this, you may be stuck with getting a new router.

madregoose

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

Yeah it's definitely not the hardware with my computer since it happens with every computer on my network (wireless and wired)

I did an automatic search tool for an update a day ago, it didn't find anything but i'll look again.

Would replacing the router itself fix this? I can get one for free

G

The manual may be on any CD which came with the router or you can download it from the maker's website.

If you are using an ISP supplied router and they will replace it free, might as well do that.

madregoose

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
The manual may be on any CD which came with the router or you can download it from the maker's website.

If you are using an ISP supplied router and they will replace it free, might as well do that.

Yeah i've decided to just run on a straight modem and replace the router whenever.

Hopefully that'll fix it.

Thanks for all your help guys