[SOLVED] Constant unstable ping and time outs on wired connection.

CRW100

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
cd6289e5c8932ce9e5b5c94bb3dd81ac.png

I have been trying to fix an issue regarding this ping and packet loss. I am on ethernet through powerline, connected to a Router/Modem Netgear C6250. I am on powerline adapters, but the issue still persists while plugged directly into the router, as well as a USB Wi-Fi adapter. Before a few days ago, my connection was normal with a stable 20-30 ping. I have tried restarting router, trying different DNS, and loading a restore point to before the issue.
  • Issue started after connection dropped on all devices
  • All devices on the network have this issue
  • Currently using a Cat7, tried with an old Cat5 with same results
DSL Report: http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/68249645

With my knowledge I'm out of ideas, will provide more if needed, help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
To avoid the obvious ISP arguments. They will first claim it is your equipment and if that doesn't work they will claim it the server you are running the test to.

What you need to do is run tracert. Then run ping to your router IP that shows no loss. Then if you are lucky you want to show you get loss to hop 2 which is the connection between your house and the ISP. You want to run ping to each hop in the trace until you find the one that shows the loss. Now obviously if you get outside your ISP network then they can properly claim they can't fix is. The problems are almost always in the connection between the ISP and your house or they would have all their customers complaining.

CRW100

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
The final test will be to boot a linux live cd/usb and run the same test. If you get it there too, I'm pretty certain it is the isp.
I haven't tried testing in linux yet, but out of curiosity I tried off my phone's hotspot on LTE using my Wi-Fi adapter. 0% packet loss with expected 60-100 ping. So pretty sure it's the ISP (or somewhere after router/modem). I'll contact ISP when I can and see what they can do before buying a separate modem and router.

To avoid the obvious ISP arguments. They will first claim it is your equipment and if that doesn't work they will claim it the server you are running the test to.

What you need to do is run tracert. Then run ping to your router IP that shows no loss. Then if you are lucky you want to show you get loss to hop 2 which is the connection between your house and the ISP. You want to run ping to each hop in the trace until you find the one that shows the loss. Now obviously if you get outside your ISP network then they can properly claim they can't fix is. The problems are almost always in the connection between the ISP and your house or they would have all their customers complaining.

Solution
I haven't tried testing in linux yet, but out of curiosity I tried off my phone's hotspot on LTE using my Wi-Fi adapter. 0% packet loss with expected 60-100 ping. So pretty sure it's the ISP (or somewhere after router/modem). I'll contact ISP when I can and see what they can do before buying a separate modem and router.
That's a pretty good test to validate your computer, but the linux test showing the same packet loss will validate the isp issues.

CRW100

Prominent
Oct 4, 2019
run ping to your router IP that shows no loss. Then if you are lucky you want to show you get loss to hop 2 which is the connection between your house and the ISP. You want to run ping to each hop in the trace until you find the one that shows the loss.
Thanks for the explanation,

xoeIJyw.png
7K8rr8S.png

First is ping to router. Did multiple tracerts, all similar results on hops. I'll contact them with this and update.