Question Continuous BSOD errors

abhi_2015

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I built a PC with a Gigabyte Z70M-D3H, an Intel Core i7 6700, and a 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400Mhz C14 RAM in 2016. I installed Windows 10 Pro on a 1TB Seagate HDD in the legacy mode. Then, slowly, I upgraded and added new parts. In 2017-18, I upgraded to a 32GB(2x16GB) 3000Mhz RAM kit, added a 250GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD as the OS drive. I also installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED and an Asus GTX 1060 6GB. These were all running fine until a month ago when suddenly my motherboard died. Gigabyte decided to repair my motherboard instead of replacing it, but it took two weeks. Also, they said that I had three bent motherboard pins.
In the meantime, due to some urgency, I bought an i7 8700 and an Auros Master Elite. Now, I suspected that this motherboard was faulty because it was not allowing dual-channel mode. I took it back to the dealer, who took me with him to the same service center. They showed me a single misaligned pin, repaired it and gave it back to me, after testing with both my RAMs. I brought it back and just used it as it is for a week. Seeing no more problems, I remove the stock cooler, cleaned the residual paste, reapplied it, and finally installed my cooler again. This time, I was extra careful because the service center people thought the bent pins in both cases were due to my improper installation.
Now, from the day before yesterday, BSOD began occurring. I have never had BSOD errors on my personal PCs. Finally, from yesterday onwards, my PC has completely failed to restart, even in Safe mode. I have tried installing Windows 10 afresh but to no avail.
I have a Windows 10 DVD from 2016, which is working fine. But, I cannot install any drivers related to audio, video, or Lan after installation.
I have a bootable USB disk also, but trying to do a fresh install from that is also giving BSOD errors. Detaching the HDD and just having the SSD seemed to solve the problem for an hour. However, it soon started and now fresh OS installation has also failed for five straight times. I cannot find any hardware problems at this moment, though I have not run memtest86 yet.
Sorry for the long post, but someone please help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
errors during install are bound to be hardware

What error codes are you getting? IRQ errors? WHEA errors? Machine check exception?

try reseating everything again
try installing windows with bare minimum parts attached
remove any overclocks, reset bios to defaults.

abhi_2015

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
errors during install are bound to be hardware

What error codes are you getting? IRQ errors? WHEA errors? Machine check exception?

try reseating everything again
try installing windows with bare minimum parts attached
remove any overclocks, reset bios to defaults.
IRQ, Page file, and some with 0x codes.
I am not overclocking anything...only the RAM is on XMP. Disabling it has no effect whatsoever.

Colif

Win 11 Master
irq errors could mean its ram

try making this on another PC, it creates a bootable USB - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

if ram was good before the motherboard repair, it might not be the ram. Memory controller is on CPU.

page file during install? there shouldn't be one? page file sits on the ssd, or should... once windows is installed. Installer runs off ram drive so it shouldn't have created page file yet?

Reactions: PC Tailor

abhi_2015

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
irq errors code mean its ram
try making this on another PC, it creates a bootable USB - Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.

page file during install? there shouldn't be one? page file sits on the ssd, or should... once windows is installed. Installer runs off ram drive so it shouldn't have created page file yet?
Page file error is coming after installation completes from the USB and the machine restarts.

Colif

Win 11 Master
okay, so page file probably is created by that stage, as it should be running off the 970 Evo by then.

it could still be ram, or motherboard or CPU (though i doubt last part)
Page file is a part of the storage system the PC looks at as memory, as when windows needs to free up ram, it rights a page to the m.2. So its sort of both ram and storage.

IRQ errors are data errors as well. So both could be caused by same thing.

Which motherboard is installed? Asus or Gigabyte? I guess its the Asus?

check ram with memtest
I would suggest the intel processor diagnostic tool but it doesn't work without windows
try making this on another PC - https://www.infopackets.com/news/10113/how-fix-bootable-prime95-stress-test-hardware - it will check ram and CPU

abhi_2015

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
So, a little update. According to the suggestions received, I reseated the CPU, cooler, and RAM. And then it started, did a clean install on the SSD. Got a BSOD error after around 8 hours of working today. Then did a windows memory diagnosis. Completed that with no error. Then, ran windows driver verifier, which could not complete and ran into a BSOD. From then on, I cannot go past the login screen. Getting stop code: Memory Management.

abhi_2015

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Try running memtest, its more thorough than the WIndows tool.

i will get more eyes on thread

Thank you, for your concern. I have dropped the board off at the Gigabyte service centre and am also in the process of sending the RAMs for possible RMA. Keeping my fingers crossed. Let's see what happens!
I shall update this thread accordingly.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I was curious if it might be the cooler itself causing both motherboards to get same pin problem. wonder if pins were in same area on both boards. I don't know if its possible for coolers to put so much pressure on chips to do that though, hence why i asked for more help

abhi_2015

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I was curious if it might be the cooler itself causing both motherboards to get same pin problem. wonder if pins were in same area on both boards. I don't know if its possible for coolers to put so much pressure on chips to do that though, hence why i asked for more help

Actually, there were three bent pins in the previous board, and everyone seems to think it was my fault. Although they were bent and had to be straightened before the installation of the cooler, they were bent more extensively when I took out the 6700 after my board died. And I found on some of the threads here itself that the cooler could do that if installed in an improper way. However, the board is still dead with straightened pins; it only works in the service centre, and nowhere else. I did not put my cooler on after repair. I have returned it again to the service centre.

In the new one, there was a problem with one of the pins, invisible to the watchful eye. The service centre people could only find it after testing with all their equipment for around 2 hours. Also, I did not assemble the new setup in a cabinet right away with the cooler, so there is a lesser chance of a pin-problem due to the cooler hanging unbalanced. Still, it may be a possibility.

I have assembled desktops for several people over the years, and I have had to install coolers as well. I have never had any problems up until now. Usually, I disassemble my PC once every year for a thorough cleaning and reassemble it again. I have been doing this for several years, and it irks me to think that I may be doing something wrong with my own PC.

Last edited by a moderator: