Question Continuously ping Google to monitor changes in network

Seth L

Honorable
Dec 1, 2014
So, I need the community's help with something. For as long as I can remember, my internet has dropped for hours on end every day. Happens for everyone in my area, but our ISP denies it and refuses to address it. I need a piece of software that will continuously work like pinging from the command prompt, but I won't have to mess with it. That way it doesn't eat bandwidth, doesn't slow down the network, and I'll have an accurate reading for the moment it went out and came back.

Reason for this is obvious: I need accurate timestamps for when the internet goes out and comes back at my residence so I can provide evidence to my ISP that there's an issue. My estimated time puts it at averaging at 3 days downtime every month.

So, anyone got a tool to help me out?

other than using python or something else ipfire is a great edge router. the default settings ping the next hop which would be more accurate than google. it also logs traffic usage so that you can show no traffic is being used when pings are down. you will have to show both. something like a ddos can kill your connection completely, but it's working as intended in the isp eyes.