[SOLVED] Controlling fans using an external device

Dec 6, 2021
Hello, I have a Sony vaio all in one VPCL11M1E pc which don't support controlling fans via bios
so I want to unplug the fans from the motherboard and plug them into an external device and control them manually, but I don't know what device to buy and how to use it
Can somebody provide me some information like what I'm supposed to buy for that and how to use it (like how to control fans using it)

the VPCL11M1E has 5 fans (2cpu)
Thanks

Solution
What you need is a dedicated fan controller.

there are many, many options.

Thermaltake FP-10 is a great, cheap fan hub that will let you control fans with software.

or if you want to manually adjust your fans then an Akasa AK-FC-08 will let you do that and sits in a 5.25 drive bay. Although looking at that PC it doesn’t seem to have any accessible drive bays, so that could be a problem.

either device would come with full instructions, but it’s very easy, you just plug all your fans into it.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021

Thermaltake FP-10 is a great, cheap fan hub that will let you control fans with software.

or if you want to manually adjust your fans then an Akasa AK-FC-08 will let you do that and sits in a 5.25 drive bay. Although looking at that PC it doesn’t seem to have any accessible drive bays, so that could be a problem.

either device would come with full instructions, but it’s very easy, you just plug all your fans into it.

Reactions: Maxuwa
Solution
Dec 6, 2021

With software, u mean it has dedicated one? So I can just unplug the fans from my motherboard plug them to Thermaltake FP-10 and control them manually with a software

You can't use an external device on a given all-in-one because they likely aren't using standard fan headers and there's no where to route the fan cables to, since they're only as long as they need to be. In addition, you can't control the fans via outside means because fan control is typically handled by the system management part of the computer, which the OS barely has any control over.

Dec 6, 2021
You can't use an external device on a given all-in-one because they likely aren't using standard fan headers and there's no where to route the fan cables to, since they're only as long as they need to be. In addition, you can't control the fans via outside means because fan control is typically handled by the system management part of the computer, which the OS barely has any control over.
If the pc going to ignore there are no fans connected ill just extend the cables,
aren't using standard fan headers
if I manage to find an adapter for that there won't be any other problem?

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Likely you will find the fans are connected with standard connectors. But yeah they won’t have long enough wires to connect to a controller, at the very least you will need some fan extension cables.

splicing your own fan cables is very easy, all you would need are some wire strippers and some electrical tape.