[SOLVED] Convert cable and phone outlet for ethernet out

Jan 9, 2020
I have a couple of cable and phone outlets around the house. How easy to change these to ethernet outlets?

Solution
If I were you, I would get a pair of MoCA adapters, thus turning your cable connection to Ethernet for point-to-point Internet. At each additional cable outlet, get another MoCA adapter (up to 16 total, with the MoCA 2.0 standard). There’s plenty of info on the internet about these adapters.

SurpriseSlayer1

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
If I were you, I would get a pair of MoCA adapters, thus turning your cable connection to Ethernet for point-to-point Internet. At each additional cable outlet, get another MoCA adapter (up to 16 total, with the MoCA 2.0 standard). There’s plenty of info on the internet about these adapters.

Solution
You can turn "phone" outlets into "Ethernet" depending on the cabling.
  • open a "phone" outlet, and inspect the cable.
  • If the cable is round, and has four pairs (eight wires, each pair white, and white-with-color-stripe), it's probably Ethernet cable. If the cable is flat (whether four, six or eight wires), it is not Ethernet
  • If the cables are Ethernet - find out where they converge, and whether each outlet has its own cable going there.
I'll stop here, so you can check these items first.

Moca is my goto for alternative 'wired' ethernet solutions, but even telephone wires can be used with vdsl ethernet extenders, although most 'telephone' wire installed in the last 10 years is actually cat5x wire like mentioned above and with some modifications can easily be used for full gigabit ethernet on the cheap.

Jan 9, 2020
Thank you so much for your suggestion. At these ports, I just want to replace one port. I'll look for one of these that may just have the most two ports. Also, another concern that I am researching is what will be the downside for this type of conversion?

SurpriseSlayer1

Honorable
Jan 2, 2015
A few things could be considered a downside. MoCA can leak out of your home and others would be able to get your signal. That’s easily fixed with a point of entry filter (look it up). Also I believe it can’t be used with satellite if you have it. And, depending on the wiring you have now, you may need to replace your splitters with MoCA compatible splitters. All this is pretty simple. Then there’s the price, but I wouldn’t consider that a huge downside.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Couple things to know does the phone wire go to a smart panel inside [preferably with a power port available], or does it go to a phone NID outside? If the ladder, so much for the easy way making it an Ethernet adapter. assuming its not really old and daisy chained making it rather pointless to try. I will assume there are 4 pairs on the wire and not red, green, yellow, and black otherwise forget the phone wire. Do you know its at least cat5e [not just cat5] or cat6/6a? Are you any good with hand tools? Because your going to have to do some hand work. Have you ever used phone connectors ? Any kind screw or IDC [insulator displacement connectors aka punch down]?

If you are sure you have cat 5e plus and it goes to a valid place, to use this Ethernet wish of yours, its as easy as buying a replacement plate [I prefer IDC , not screws but you can find both] and switching them out with the correct tools [punch down and snips tool or stripper, snips, and and screwdriver]. If not, the moca is a valid option, do you have any tv services on either of the outlets you want to use, if not terminators on the end and a DMM/VOM on resistance can locate a wire rather easily, splice the two wires togather so they are not part of the other networks and yourr golder, if they do have other devices you will need valid splitters, a poe filter to prevent your shooting foreign signal into the other networks and impairing those services for potentially you and your neighbors. Then the correct equipment to use the coax path, moca adapters, Ethernet cables to feed the adapters, power, etc...

to advise you better we need more info about the phone wire and coax wire networks.

TRENDING THREADS