[SOLVED] converting an old PC to a server. i have a PC ( 2.3 ghz CPU ) i do not use , i want to convert it to a " server " cleaning and verifying email lists i

donar

Reputable
Feb 25, 2019
i want to convert an old PC i have to a " server " to clean and verify email lists i have .
it would be used for nothing else , running XP Pro , i will update to win7 at least, has 8gb RAM DDR 2 or is it 3 ?? . , 500 gb HDD
the questions if anyone cares to reply are, what else would i need to do to convert it , the MB and the CPU were replaced not very long before i stopped using it .
thanks for your time , donar

Solution
actually i do not see anyone logging into the PC/Server, it will be running simply to clean lists ?? i will not be sending anything out from it , and i am a widower , no one else here with me , thanks for your reply , donar
Some account (somebody) will be logged in. What action, and what ownership of the processes, starts this e-mail list verification? This sounds like a work from home offer. Maybe the process requires no human interaction, maybe not.
You aren't really creating a server, since it isn't providing any shared resources to you. You just have a PC in a spare room running unattended. Be careful that your spare, unattended PC is not used in a way you don't expect. You might be told it is "cleaning e-mail...

kanewolf

Titan
There is nothing special about a "server". Your choice of OS is not very server-like. Windows 7 can only have one person login to the host at a time. Servers are about shared resources. Linux is the usual choice since it can have many people logged in simultaneously, and it is free.

donar

Reputable
Feb 25, 2019
actually i do not see anyone logging into the PC/Server, it will be running simply to clean lists ?? i will not be sending anything out from it , and i am a widower , no one else here with me , thanks for your reply , donar

kanewolf

Titan
Some account (somebody) will be logged in. What action, and what ownership of the processes, starts this e-mail list verification? This sounds like a work from home offer. Maybe the process requires no human interaction, maybe not.
You aren't really creating a server, since it isn't providing any shared resources to you. You just have a PC in a spare room running unattended. Be careful that your spare, unattended PC is not used in a way you don't expect. You might be told it is "cleaning e-mail lists" when really it is sending SPAM e-mail. DOUBLE check the background of this opportunity.

Solution

donar

Reputable
Feb 25, 2019
thanks for that i understand , actually i made a mistake in writing my post , i originally had PC/"Server " , i realise it is not actually a server , but i made an alteration to the wording in my post and in the new and sent version i forgot the inverted commas at "Server " . regards and thanks for your time , donar