Question Converting HD to Dynamic Disk

barbarianhorde

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Hey guys,

I'm running into an issue attempting to convert a 500GB HD to a dynamic disk, when I try to convert it, it tells me "The operation is not supported by the object" I also included a screenshot below. I have a total of 4 different hard drives, 3 of which are 500GB 2.5" platter drives, the 4th is a 2.5" 500GB SSD. I'm running into the same issue on all of them. I've tried converting them to dynamic disks in DiskPart, through Disk Management, and lastly through EaseUS Partition Master and I encounter the same issue using all 3 apps. The drives themselves are functioning fine, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. The only thing that came to mind is the fact that I'm doing it through an external Hard Drive docking station, I'm not sure if that would cause an issue? I've spent several hours Googling the issue and trying different advice that I found online to no avail. If anyone has any tips of suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate it.

WuPKbw4.png

Hey guys,

I'm running into an issue attempting to convert a 500GB HD to a dynamic disk, when I try to convert it, it tells me "The operation is not supported by the object" I also included a screenshot below. I have a total of 4 different hard drives, 3 of which are 500GB 2.5" platter drives, the 4th is a 2.5" 500GB SSD. I'm running into the same issue on all of them. I've tried converting them to dynamic disks in DiskPart, through Disk Management, and lastly through EaseUS Partition Master and I encounter the same issue using all 3 apps. The drives themselves are functioning fine, so I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. The only thing that came to mind is the fact that I'm doing it through an external Hard Drive docking station, I'm not sure if that would cause an issue? I've spent several hours Googling the issue and trying different advice that I found online to no avail. If anyone has any tips of suggestions I would GREATLY appreciate it.

WuPKbw4.png
Windows generally expects a disk to have a GPT partition table identifier. It will also accept older MBR partition table identifiers although they are no longer preferred. Since dynamic disks don't have those Windows may be balking at creating a dynamic disk. Or the external docking station may not be passing that information along to Windows. You could try creating a GPT identifier, even though it won't be used, and then change the disk from basic to dynamic.

barbarianhorde

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Windows generally expects a disk to have a GPT partition table identifier. It will also accept older MBR partition table identifiers although they are no longer preferred. Since dynamic disks don't have those Windows may be balking at creating a dynamic disk. Or the external docking station may not be passing that information along to Windows. You could try creating a GPT identifier, even though it won't be used, and then change the disk from basic to dynamic.

Hey DWD,

I appreciate the quick response, I actually thought the same thing, so I converted it to GPT and then tried converting it to Dynamic and it still runs into the same issue. I attempted that using the same methods as before, using the built-in Disk Management tool in Windows, through DiskPart and EaseUS Partition Master.

barbarianhorde

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
dynamic discs have been deprecated from windows, microsoft no longer suggest to use it,it got replaced by storage spaces

but that error you got is because you cant create dynamic disc on usb or external drives

Hey Kerberos,

I appreciate the response man! That's the only other thing that really made sense to me, so it's nice to get a confirmation of that. Again I really appreciate the quick response!