Question Convex heatsink base on convex AM4 chip? Cooling implications?

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I am currently contemplating purchasing a Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT CPU cooler for an AM4 CPU chip; however, I'd like to confirm something before I do. As I was browsing reviews of this cooler, I came across one especially informative review that mentioned the fact that the base of the Le Grand Macho RT is slightly convex in shape so that it better connects with the concave surfaces of Intel chips. That statement is corroborated by the Le Grand Macho RT's own product page, which states the following: "The convex shape – compared to flat surfaces – further optimizes the cooling performance - especially in Intel systems." The same review also mentioned that the surfaces of AM4 CPU chips are convex, just like the cooler's base. Does this mean that the Le Grand Macho RT's convex base and the convex surfaces of AM4 chips counteract each other? Would that have adverse effects on cooling performance?

PS: The first image you see upon scrolling down this article illustrates what I'm referring to. However, like I mentioned before, the heatsink base is slightly convex, not flat like in that image.

In theory, that's better because the CPU chip is just under the center of IHS which is made of thin metal and cooler body can make more pressure on it with thinner layer of paste therefore transferring heat better Actual processor is just about 15x10mm and much smaller than IHS.

ProtoflareX

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
Why not get the cooler made just for Ryzen? http://www.thermalright.de/en/cooler/73/aro-m14-grey?c=9

I guess I should've asked if you had a Ryzen.

I don't have a Ryzen yet, but I was planning on buying the Le Grand Macho RT for one. Also, based on what I'm seeing online, that cooler is significantly cheaper than the Le Grand Macho RT. Even if it's made specifically for AM4 chips, does that price difference signify that it's not as effective?