Discussion Convince your girlfriend to abandon PC and get a Mac. How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxhero27

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I have been recommending PC's since the dawn of time. Only recently, after some inspiration from a dedicated Mac fan boy and a ton of research, I am leaning towards recommending Mac. My next laptop may even be a Mac.

On top of all the PC to Mac comparisons, my argument also goes against Microsoft themselves. From all the antitrust lawsuits to their treatment of employees to numerous conspiracy theories, I have grown to despise Microsoft.

I personally use Linux for all tasks other than PC games (which is because most of the games I play are not well done on WINE). For my girlfriend, she has seen Mac OS X, believes it to be way overpriced (which I proved otherwise), and not worth switching (which I have yet to prove).

So, I ask you...

1) How can I justify the price of a Mac to buying a PC that's half the price?

2) In what way can I prove Mac is more worth the switch?

3) What counter-points can be made in favor of Microsoft and PC's in general?

1 question, does your girlfriend know how to use a PC ?

if the answer is yes there is no reason aside from resale to get a mac.

I am writing this from a mac that my dad has had for 3 years and it works flawlessly

BUT.... He has no idea what's going on as far as computer use and safety go.

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
After a recent experience, I'm currently a bit anti-Apple.

In the PC world you have choice, but you need to know what you are choosing.
In the Apple World, Apple control everything, this can be good (if you don't want/need choice) and can be bad (if you have a problem Apple can't/won't fix).
Apple inovates others follow, but not all the innovations work (or are ready for real-world use), when others follow it tends to be the innovations that do work and are more mature, Apple users can often end-up paying (a premium price) to be beta-testers.

OS X is probably the best OS currently available but the latest release still has issues that Apple doesn't appear to be willing/able to fix.

For Home use I still use Apple, but for Work I'm sticking with PC's.

show her some of the ipads and macbook airs. not macbook pro. for dektop, a bigass apple thunderbolt display. let her get accustomed to those and then pitch the one she liked the most.
she's right though, mac/osx isn't worth switching.

1) Unless she really likes the interface or the hardware you can't. Don't try for moral grounds because Apple isn't any better than MS in this regard and in fact as far as Anti trust issues they are worse. Just look at the ridiculous lawsuits they have started and the walled garden they create. As for treatment of the employees MS has nothing on Apples supplier Foxcon. If you're going to aim for security, well as a Linux guy you should know better so I'm not going there.

2) Why do you think it would be worth it to her? Is the more intuitive interface worth throwing out all the PC skills she has already accumulated? Is it going to help her do anything, anything at all, faster better or more efficiently? Is that gain worth the initial investment of time and money to get and learn how to use a Mac (not to mention a whole new set of programs)? I just want to say it was hard to refrain from being mean on this whole point :D. The only reason I consider a Mac (though I'll probably go hackintosh), and it's a big reason, is because you need OSX to develop iOS apps. If she doesn't want to be an iOS developer I just don't see it.

3) Cheap, she already knows how to use them, more choices on hardware and software (just make sure to remove the crap ware or get the slightly more expensive crapware free one), can run the applications schools and businesses expect the modern employee to run, and a broader user base to relate to.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
1) I think the Macbook Air is the best sales tool. It's what convinced me to give OSX a try. PCs that are similar quality (i.e. Thinkpad) are about the same price. Additionally, almost all PC vendors copy the look of the macbook (unless it's a thinkpad) which I find annoying. Of course, if all you care about is performance (and are simply looking for a "good enough" exterior) then a PC will be half the price.

One other big plus for macbooks is the trackpad. I despise trackpads on most computers (besides the red pointer on Thinkpads), but the trackpad on Macbooks is very good. Gestures make computing in the laptop form factor much easier.

There is also much more support for OSX (if you live near an apple store). I was having some problems in Tokyo and it was simple to have the headphone jack (what apple calls the i/o card) switched out.

I don't think the moral argument has any traction. Apple engages in all kinds of anticompetitive behavior (think about all the patent suits going on right now)

2) There are a few programs that are better on OSX. I really like preview a lot more than any incarnation of adobe acrobat or foxit reader. Office is worse (in the way that iTunes is bad on Windows). I really like having access to a Unix command line.

However, the total amount of applications on OSX is limited and they tend to cost more ($15 dollars vs. Free).

3) Counterpoint is gaming is better, software is cheaper, and there is more choice.

captainkall

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
1) No justification, they just got over core 2 a few months ago.

2) If she has an android phone her made a choice all ready. If she has and Iphone and only use's here computer for facebook twitter and email and a photo dump then an Mac may suit her needs better.

If she has Virus problems then a mac may help but in about say... 10 months... I dont know if mac will be as virus free... they are popular its only a matter of time...

3)Cost to power. The abilty to give here Linux on a PC and Windows. (you can to that with mac stuff but I have heard bad thing tho never owning a mac product Period* and only using one 2 times (if you dont count playing with a touch screen to draw on Ipad using one and making call on a friends Iphone using a mac.) I can't say how it works.)
A pc can be fixed easierly. Rebuild with reltive easies and speed and can use Linux thats the big thing Linux.

1) How can I justify the price of a Mac to buying a PC that's half the price?

You can't, if value for money is at all relevant to you.

2) In what way can I prove Mac is more worth the switch?

This decision will be mainly driven by what the computer is used for. If her everyday tasks work well on the PC, a switch to the Mac will be a hard sell without a side-by-side comparison that proves A is better than B because of x reasons.

3) What counter-points can be made in favor of Microsoft and PC's in general?

Same or better hardware for half the price springs to mind.. My main argument though is that I'm a) a tinkerer that likes full control over the innards of my PC and what software I use, and b) I'm a gamer. This may not apply in your case though.

How about apple trying to hold the defacto patent over the rectangluar tablet. Mac's have their points, I don't ever think that the moral argument should be used in their favour.

http://hexus.net/business/news/legal/32917-apple-outsources-patent-infringement/

They are both big companies, with shareholders that they want to make happy/rich, so they do what big companies do, chase the dollars.

In the overall debate, if you GF's PC goes wrong you can fix it, if a component fails you can replace it, if it becomes out of date you can update it, all of which can be done out of warranty, if you want it look nice you'll need to hunt around a bit for a nice case. True apple has the so called geniuses, but can you be sure they'll still be more than vaguely intelligent in three years time (which is when you need it), training will be diluted by that point, and they'll just be spotty teenagers.

Now their phones and pads, i'd say it was a different story, none of the competition has any user serviceability so many of the above arguements fall aside, to a degree ditto for the laptops.

andywork78

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
1. If stay as "girlfriend" don't spend too much money. (most of case true)
2. If "girlfriend" turn into "wife" soon? yes you must. (quality of launch will change lol)
3. 250~350 laptop is best for your girlfriend not a desktop (she can think about you all the time, change the background picture with you and your gf)
4. MS are easy to use without having a trouble. (There are no market yet in Windows 7 therefore no extra money required.)

Keep what you know. If she is use to a PC then dont force her to switch as she will use is less, forcing you to have to spend more time with her, which is often bad for relationships.

Macs are pretty, and not nearly as overpriced as they once were, but one has to wonder how long they have without Jobs before they begin to suck again. If it is a question of the long term then PC will have the more consistent quality and support over time.

If you are concerned with employee abuse then why would you think Apple is any better? Sure most of their state side employees are well-to-do, but there is nobody worse than Apple overseas. And nobody (and I do mean nobody) wields a lawsuit quite like Apple. Yes, MS is bad, but they are willing to work with companies to lease their IP for a reasonable price. Apple just screws people to the wall, which is the #1 reason that they are only 10-20% of the market.

Lastly, when was the last time you tried repairing a Mac for something other than replacing a HDD or Ram? You likely have not as it simply is not done! Yes, they have an excelent return and warrany policy in place, but once you are outside of that coverage things get very expensive to work on, because you dont repair macs... you replace them. My wife was a Mac user for years, and didn't know a PC could be good until she saw mine, and when I told her how much I paid (1/3 of what she paid for hers, and they were made around the same time) she was impressed, but not sold. It was only after her HDD died and we had to dissect her laptop to get to the damn thing that we decided we didn't want to do that again.

Dont get me wrong; Macs are nice, and I use them on occasion at work and church. But you cannot convince me that they have a future, that they are cheaper to operate than a PC, or that they are more user friendly (though they are simpler in interface, they are hardly intuitive, you just get use to what you use).

On top of all the PC to Mac comparisons, my argument also goes against Microsoft themselves. From all the antitrust lawsuits to their treatment of employees to numerous conspiracy theories, I have grown to despise Microsoft.

Ok, time to take those APple blinders off and examine the last half decade... hehe... anyway...

At the time of purchase, the PC is already worth less than what you are about to pay... The Mac will retain more value over time. It depends on who pays for it. If I had to pay for it, she'd get an eMachine celeron. If she's paying, she can get whatever in the hell she wants haha. If you pay for the Mac, then you can change the background image to a really pretty engagement ring. I don't try to force my preferences on others though. I don't care much for tablets, but it made a great gift for the mother... Just do your best to match her needs and expectations (that applies to everything btw, not just personal computing) with the capabilities offered, and you'll be fine.

linuxhero27

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I thank you all for the replies. Perhaps I should give more insight.

My girlfriend wants a very lightweight 13" laptop, so I recommended the Macbook Air. We began to get into the Mac vs PC debate over it. I was unable to find an equivalent PC laptop that matched the dimensions and weight that the Air did.

Yes, the Samsung Series 9 is equivalent, but not for an extra $400.

It is true that Apple has had their fair share of lawsuits and what not, but (to me anyway) it seems that Microsoft has a more negative track record. I will continue to use Microsoft, but I will (most likely) not recommend PC's over a Mac (depending on the situation).

Based on this, what other points can you give on this issue?

Seems to me that you want your girlfriend to get a MAC more than she wants to get a MAC. Rather than convincing her to get something that she may not want, let her be a big girl and make her own choices. Since she will the primary user, if she regrets her decision, then move forward from there...

Here's a nice Acer laptop that might meet your girl's requirements. 14" screen and weighs 5lbs.

Well I'm a 100% PC guy, but I still give Apple products points for retaining value, and normally male/female isn't a consideration for tech stuff, but Apple is more fashionable right now. People like to talk and ask questions about stuff, so also, because it isn't as common, could be considered a conversation piece as well. You know her so maybe that sort of thing is appealing to her too.

I have a huge pc case. Most people don't. So it becomes a launching point for some sort of discussion about PCs, the market, etc. It's not there to brag, I used all the space it offered, but its that extra bit you can get out of a product. Pride.

I think his intentions are honorable. He seems to just want to make sure she makes the most informed decision possible.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
You have to have consideration for what she is using the Mac for. If it's for school or business, lot of the times, using Word/Excel/Powerpoint and sharing files becomes more straightforward if you use PC.

If she's simply using Mac for individual purpose like surfing the net, e-mails, and looking through some pictures, I can see Macs being a little more polished in terms of software and integration.

It really matters what she's intending on using the laptop for.

makafri

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
you cant justify in any way the cost of an apple product... specially since there are options with the same quality out there... buy her a ultrabook and you and her will be in love with pc all over again...

Status
Not open for further replies.