Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Hi,

I've just bought myself a Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus cooler for my AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE.

I have the Cooler Master Elite 430 case with 3 fans (1 front, 1 side, 1 back).

I was idling at around 35 to 40 with the phenom's stock cooler. Now after I install the Hyper 212 plus, the temps still idle at around 35 to 42 degrees celcius.

I used the thermal paste that came along with the cooler. Please suggest me if I am doing something wrong.

Solution
OK. Checked and changed everything, benchmarked (quite sick of 3DMark right about now I can tell you that!). This is what I came up with...

My CPU (just for clarity) is the Core 2 Quad Q8400. I overclocked it from 2.66GHz up to 3.2GHz. I removed the extra 120mm fan from the Hyper 212+ cooler, and ran the stock fan with only the BIOS Q-Fan profiles changed.

Idle, these where the stats in my BIOS:

dfyjde.jpg

To place the CPU under load, I did the following:

I used 3DMark06 and ran the two CPU benchies, 1920 x 1080 (although I don't think that makes a difference on the test, it doesn't do GPU testing then), each repeated 3 times without inteference.

This made for about 8 minutes of 100% CPU load...

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
OK. Checked and changed everything, benchmarked (quite sick of 3DMark right about now I can tell you that!). This is what I came up with...

My CPU (just for clarity) is the Core 2 Quad Q8400. I overclocked it from 2.66GHz up to 3.2GHz. I removed the extra 120mm fan from the Hyper 212+ cooler, and ran the stock fan with only the BIOS Q-Fan profiles changed.

Idle, these where the stats in my BIOS:

dfyjde.jpg

To place the CPU under load, I did the following:

I used 3DMark06 and ran the two CPU benchies, 1920 x 1080 (although I don't think that makes a difference on the test, it doesn't do GPU testing then), each repeated 3 times without inteference.

This made for about 8 minutes of 100% CPU load, without skips and stops.

These were the results:

2zg6ans.jpg

Now, as can be seen the load temps weren't high at all. The CPU fan speed increased a little with all three profiles, and the difference can be seen when compared to the reference fan speed of 2100RPM (with Q-Fan Control "Disabled").

Remarkably, the temperature difference between the Performance setting, with the fan spinning at 1400RPM and the maximum speed of 2100RPM is but 1'C. You can see the difference though when it comes to the Silent Mode profile. The temperature increases dramatically when the BIOS limits the fan speed a bit, and I can only guess that the difference will increase as you place more power into the CPU or you get a generally more powerful CPU.

The extra fan though, as soon as I replaced it, made the idle temps dropped 2.5'C instantly at the Performance Mode setting, and when I benched with my case complete as I use it everyday, the CPU temperature didn't go above 40'C. It stayed at 38'C~39'C. The extra fan is incredibly helpful, even at gaming levels and during long loading times where the CPU is stressed for hours and hours on end (thinking of my Dragon Age "marathons" where I play for like 5 hours straight) the temps stay below 40'C (I kept Asus PC Probe open for one gaming spree, pressed the Windows button to minimize after big fights and general massive CPU use).

Also, for the price of the cooler you can easily afford another fan and just up the cooling that little bit. The blue LED fan also looks extremely cool on the heatsink, it fits quite well.

The fans you said you were going to add are perfect. It's more or less what I'm using, except for the fact that I just broke one of the fins off my top extraction fan. I replaced the extra CPU fan, turned the PC on and heard a cable somewhere in a fan. Looked for it, found it just touching the top fan. Tried taking it out, but these large hands of mine got my thumb inside the CPU fan, making me jolt from the scare and stuffing my index finger into the top fan. Fin broke off, case started vibrating like mad so I took it out. Already ordered a new one, should be getting it soon. :)

Enjoy man, hope these numbers make you feel a bit better!

Solution

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
Yup, I have the same kind of numbers with one fan on my cooler. I will definitely get another fan for the cooler and another 4 fans for my case.

I will be getting the blademaster fan (the same fan that came with the cooler) for push/pull and 4 120mm fans for my case (cooler master). Will that be good or should I get any other fan????????????????.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
I'd agree with Saint. Great fans, they are. Get one of them for the extraction, and if you're feeling adventurous, get a SilverStone Air Penetrator fan for the intake. This fan blows (in the good sense :)) like a madman, and is designed to force air into the cooler at a more effective rate. Just for the extras though, don't think you need it.

Oh yes, and I'm getting myself a new fan for the extraction. I'm planning the Antec TriCool case fan, it comes with three manual speed settings on a switch, so if you don't have a fan controller for the extra CPU fan, you can manually select it's speed (1200RPM, 2000RPM, 2600RPM).

And then I still need a new fan for the replacement of the top fan I breakzd. Still looking though, want something really good :)

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Actually direct touch copper heatsinks like the Cooler Master hyper 212 plus and Titan Fenrir have better idle temps then most after market heatsinks. So i think your idle temps should be better then that. Also with it being direct touch from what i read and seen on youtube you have to apply a little bit more thermal compound because of the grooves it has on the bottom of the heatsink. It's probably not spreading like it suppose to like normal flat base heatsinks.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

Well it should give better performance, otherwise what's the use of them right? :)

I applied a little more compound out of fear that it might have to fill up the little groovies, but it made little difference after I installed the cooler. It worked a charm, whether I put on more compound or not.

Thing I've heard about these direct contact coolers is that the heatpipes aren't completely flat at the bottom, which can cause a crappy seating. And at that point, adding more and more thermal compound will only make the problem worse!

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
ok, I ll bring the arctic silver 5 and then re-apply the thermal paste. first I will fill up the gaps between the heat pipes and then just add a blob at the centre and then re-seat the heat sink. how does that sound.

irfan88

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2010
I finally got these into my Tower now:

1 120mm front intake
1 120mm bottom intake
1 120mm side intake
1 120mm top exhaust
1 120mm rear exhaust

the fans installed above is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103024

and 2 120mm fans in push/pull for cooler master hyper 212 plus cooler.

but the problem is I installed 1 120mm fan which came default with the hyper 212 plus (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103069)

and the other fan is (http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/acc/026/sy1225sl_detail.html)

so my question is, can I use two different fans with push/pull on the hyper 212 plus.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Yeah most definitely. That's what I'm running and it's awesome, helps the hot air out of the case much better. I have the standard fan on the push side and an aftermarket blue LED fan on the pull side. Works charmingly.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Hehe yeah I noticed that thread when I first bought my 212+ about a month or so ago, and I thought it was awesome. It didn't help me at all (I found it after I installed my cooler) but I figured it could help someone else, so I mind-bookmarked it.

pdizzle

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hi Everybody I have the exact same Problem... I have a Cooler Master Elite 430 Case

140mm Fan (Intake) Front
2x 120mm (Exhaust) Top
1x120mm (Exhaust) Back
1x120mm (Intake) Side
1x120mm (Intake Bottom

Hyper 212+ Cooler (Push/pull configuration)

And I was wondering if this was good airflow.

My CX430 is bottom mounted and
GPU is crazy 8800 GTX fan (LOUD!!!)

Cna't try out everything as I don't ahve my CPU yet. But please help me out here is this good airflow???