Question Cooling help for a noob

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
I've got a CoolerMaster HAF-912. I want some cooler air circulating through this case. It's not cramped in there but I want to add more airflow. How do I determine what kind of fans are best? I currently have nothing but 120mm fans in the front and back bays. I didn't even know I needed cooling until this past week when I decided to look into it because my system felt warm.

The system is a B450 Tomahawk Max with a Ryzen 5 3600 cooled right now with nothing more than its stock fan.
Also in the case is an MSI GTX 1660 Super.
I curently idle at about 57C and games peak at about 84C.

I'm thinking of getting the following...
exhaust - 1 120mm out the back
exhaust - 2 120mm out the top
intake - 1 140mm from the side
intake - 2 140mm from the front
And replacing the Ryzen's stock cooling with a Arctic Freezer eSports Duo.

Does that all sound like I should be ok cooling-wise? I know very little about CPU cooling specs and brands but the bit I've learned this week led me to this one. Any thoughts, recommendations?

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Did you choose it based on price or because nothing else was available at your source or?
I haven't chosen it just asking about it. Somebody else on another site told me it was far superior to the Arctic esports duo I ordered because it has 6 pipes across the CPU for better heat management so that the fans run at a lower speed and thus produce less noise.
I'm satisified with the reviews and info I read on the eports due but just thought I'd ask since you guys are all really knowledgable.

I'm satisified with the reviews and info I read on the eports due but just thought I'd ask since you guys are all really knowledgable.

See if you can find a cooler review site where BOTH of those and possible others are tested against each other.

I wouldn't expect major differences between single tower/single fan coolers of about the same size and weight.

I would give some consideration to the mounting system.

tinpanalley

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
See if you can find a cooler review site where BOTH of those and possible others are tested against each other.

I wouldn't expect major differences between single tower/single fan coolers of about the same size and weight.

I would give some consideration to the mounting system.
I think the person is saying, it will future proof you for other builds. I'm not always of the opinion that something needs to be good into the future. I buy RAM for example accepting I probably won't be able to use it again.

To be fair, I didn't even thoroughly look at the esports duo for specific mounting, I just figured from reading people using it on my cpu that it would work. Probably should have looked into that.

I think the person is saying, it will future proof you for other builds. I'm not always of the opinion that something needs to be good into the future. I buy RAM for example accepting I probably won't be able to use it again.

To be fair, I didn't even thoroughly look at the esports duo for specific mounting, I just figured from reading people using it on my cpu that it would work. Probably should have looked into that.

Yep; I'd give minimal importance to "future proof" talk. Coolers can continue to be usable well into the future IF a mounting adapter kit is available for new motherboard sockets.

Some cooler makers supply those adapters at no charge.

Mounting can be a major pain but probably tolerable because you only have to do it once. But some are clearly less problematic than others.

Reactions: tinpanalley