Cooling pad as a short term solution over laptop fan?

bluefood2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I have a 7 year old laptop (an Averatec 3120V from 2003) that I plan on replacing in 6 months. The fan is completely fried, and the laptop overheats within 20-30 minutes usually. How effective are laptop cooling pads? I just need to keep the laptop at a somewhat safe temperature for a period of no more than 90 minutes, and I'm only going to be using it for 6 more months

(I've been using ice packs as a do-it-quick solution so far, which has been working but has the downside of making the laptop wobbly, and occasionally wet)

tortnotes

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Six months is probably too long.

Consider this... pointing a fan at the insides of a desktop computer with all of the other fans turned off is a bad, bad idea. The fan in your laptop, just like the fan in a graphics card or the one on a desktop CPU, is designed to push air through a certain area to cool the system. Notebook coolers are generally pretty weak and only push air around underneath the laptop. Even if you sat the laptop on top of a box fan, I doubt it would be able to effectively channel air through the heatsinks inside.

You should try to figure out some way to push air through the laptop, or just take the laptop apart and replace the fan... shouldn't be too expensive. Or stop using it before everything gets fried.

aim001

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Buy a new laptop fan. and then get a laptop pad, a laptop pad only cools the air that gets inside the the intigrated fan. so if u only have the pad and the intigrated fan is dead. It wont give u a good suprise, it will only decrease 1-3 c. Buy a new laptop now or buy a new fan.

TRENDING THREADS