Question cooling temps of amd cpu

rgs80074

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Hello everyone

to start i'll start by saying I've not used a amd cpu since the early 90's but I may have a problem with my cpu.

its a ryzen 7 3800x
not sure the graphics card i want to say like an rx570 or 580
16gb of ram running at 3000mhz
240gb ssd for the os system
8tb drive for everything else.

its using an old thermal take dual docking bay case, the case has been good and still works well (the docking bays had/have issues but I don't use them). there is 3 intake fans in the front, one exhaust fan in the back, and one large 240mm exhaust fan on top.

it worked great on my old pc setup (2600k intel chip) and kept the idle cpu temps in the 30's and full load around 80

due to my lack of usage I am not sure what temps the amd cpu should work at.
idle its in the high 40's to mid 50's which seems very high to me, under load its at 78-80 but its also not over clocking as fast as it should, think their base speed is 3.9ghz and boost to 4.5ghz my boost goes to 4.05ghz but never higher and i think it has something to do with the cpu temps which is then causing it to have to work longer than it should doing video work.

its got the cpu cooler recommended but I am thinking I might need to pull it and reapply the thermal paste, it came with.
its own thermal pad but with those idle temps it don't seem right

the rooms normal ac temp is around 25-26c

what are yall's opinions on this, does my thought sound about right that the thermal pad is just not doing the job good enough?

ryan

Ignore idle or low load temps, ryzen overvolts itself at lower loads to run full speed on 1 or 2 cores.

Are those highest temps under stress testing? Or just a general gaming load?

If stress testing I wouldn't worry, if it's gaming load then it's a bit high as you won't see more than 60% usage out of a ryzen 7 generally.

You're using the stock cooler?
While it's decent it's not good enough thermally to maintain full boost speeds, amd gave you a cooler that is 'just about' acceptable, especially with the 3800x.

rgs80074

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
hello madmatt30

the highest temps are while encoding video (i don't do gaming on hte pc it was really just built for encoding video for not) but its not really any faster than my intel 8700k which is also going full bore encoding too.

the idle temps seemed high since my intel idles in the 30's

both get to about the same high when encoding

but the amd is not boosting to the 4.5ghz it says just a bit over 4

yes using the stock cooler the intel cpu uses the hyper 212 cpu cooler

i'm thinking an almost 500mhz boost to the speed which i am not getting could really help the encoding time to a noticeable difference.

so what would you suggest?

ryan

hello madmatt30

the highest temps are while encoding video (i don't do gaming on hte pc it was really just built for encoding video for not) but its not really any faster than my intel 8700k which is also going full bore encoding too.

the idle temps seemed high since my intel idles in the 30's

both get to about the same high when encoding

but the amd is not boosting to the 4.5ghz it says just a bit over 4

yes using the stock cooler the intel cpu uses the hyper 212 cpu cooler

i'm thinking an almost 500mhz boost to the speed which i am not getting could really help the encoding time to a noticeable difference.

so what would you suggest?

ryan

You need an aftermarket cooler on it for those kind of loads, the wraith prism isn't good enough for full pbo boost speeds because they are based entirely on thermal overhead available.

What I'd recommend would be based on budget and country??

rgs80074

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010

budget don't really have one but I am cheap and i still don't trust water cooling

its just really odd since my prior pc was in there with the same cooling setup cpu cooler was a hyper 212

and as mentioned the cpu is supposed to boost to 4.5ghz but does not

but if i get another cooler i would also at least be reapplying the thermal paste do it the way i always have instead of the thermal paste pads i don't think i like them.

ryan