Core 2 duo

ronss

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
i just bought a new gigabyte ga-ep35-dsr motherboard, never opened, the guy stated he had it as a backup, and never needed it...

i bought 2gb-ddr2 800mhz memory.,,,,e6550 cpu, and has a 4850 ati card, running vista ultimate 32bit.

what upgrades would you make to this system for performance/value for the buck...

upgrade i will do is go from the present parrallel drive to sata...

ronss

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
okay....i bought a e6550 cpu the other day....but will upgrade cpu,s,,,,,,should i get something like the e8500, e8600,,,or go with a quad

i know i can get a i5 cpu for the same price allmost,,,but my ram and motherboard are new..so i am going to stick with this generation

Getting a quad is the better option if it does not cost too much, however I do think that the Q8xxx and Q9xxx series are a bit expensive these days for the performance you are getting. Then again, there is relatively low stock left which tends to drive up the price.

While not the latest and great Intel CPUs, Core 2 Duos & Quads are very competitive with AMD's current CPUs. That's why I'm going to hold out on upgrading my current PC (Q9450) until 2013 when Intel releases their next generation Haswell CPU series.

ronss

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
thanks.....i was also leaning toward a quad...i bought the motherboard, new, still in package, but i did not realize the cpu,s were bringing such a premium, otherwise i might have gone with sandy ridge, and i quess they are headed towards their doom, with ivy bridge just around the corner. i will just have too scoop out ebay, and see if i can get a deal.....later