CORE and VRAM powered by same vrm?

JaredFrost95

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
So I'm a noob, obviously... I've had decent luck finding appropriate clock speeds before overvolting. But here's what confused me. People say to overclock the core as much as you can first and then the VRAM... But if you do that, won't you be using all of the power since you pushed the limits with the core? Or is the vram powered separately than the core? It's a simple question but I'm not very articulate so if it doesn't make sense i'll do my best...

Solution
They do have a separate part of the VRMs, that's why you hear things like 6+2 phases. But beyond that, what limits your overclocking of the GPU or the VRAM isn't usually going to be the power the VRMs can deliver. So it's not like you "run out" of power when you overclock the GPU, and then have nothing extra left for the VRAM overclock.
They do have a separate part of the VRMs, that's why you hear things like 6+2 phases. But beyond that, what limits your overclocking of the GPU or the VRAM isn't usually going to be the power the VRMs can deliver. So it's not like you "run out" of power when you overclock the GPU, and then have nothing extra left for the VRAM overclock.

Solution