[SOLVED] Core i5 8600k 64bit x86 processor

Apr 5, 2019
I believe that x86 stands for 32bit, but here in this case, what is it trying to say? That is it a 64bit 32bit processor? Please help me, I'm a noob, cause intel chose that title. Also what windows would be compatible with it?

Solution
\
So this has nothing to do with x64?

x64 is just a simplification of saying x86-64 or AMD64.

It denotes a 64bit capable 100% compatible IBM desktop chip. These terms mutate and change over time.

Back when Macs used Motorola or PowerPC chips there was some significance when talking about PCs. Now your PCs, game consoles (Nintendo Switch excepted), and Apple PCs are all running x86-64.

Apple has plans to move to ARM64, but it still isn't clear when or if they will make that move. Development has been in the x86 camp for so long at this point.

There are plenty more CPU standards in the enterprise sector if you want to look into it.

64bit was necessary to increase the amount of memory that systems could support. AMD was first...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
x86 simply put means the cpu is compatible with the x86 instruction set. Pretty much all desktop consumer CPU's use x86 architecture. The 8600k is one of the most popular higher end desktop cpu's, so yes it is compatible with windows 10 and many other OS's. It would be more accurate to refer to the 8600k as x86_64 from my understanding.

Reactions: GroundBreaker

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The three main PC architectures are X86, AMD64, and IA64 (defunct, Intel has announced end of life for its Itanium line up, only evre made it to the data center) AMD64 is also known as x86-64, or an x86 chip with 64 bit extensions. All modern x86 processors are x86-64. Intel and AMD have a cross licensing agreement. ARM 64 is slowly coming into its own and will likely be a legitimate alternative in the near future. Right now basically chromebooks.

As for Windows, both, you can choose to use Windows Vista, 7, 8.1, or 10 as 32bit or 64 bit. Not really any reason to run 32bit Windows unless you have, at this point, very legacy 16bit software. You would be limited to a maximum addressable total memory of 4GB. 64 bit Windows is not capable of running 16bit applications.

Apr 5, 2019
x86 simply put means the cpu is compatible with the x86 instruction set. Pretty much all desktop consumer CPU's use x86 architecture. The 8600k is one of the most popular higher end desktop cpu's, so yes it is compatible with windows 10 and many other OS's. It would be more accurate to refer to the 8600k as x86_64 from my understanding.
So you mean it's a 64bit processor, right? If so, what would x64 mean then?

Apr 5, 2019
The three main PC architectures are X86, AMD64, and IA64 (defunct, Intel has announced end of life for its Itanium line up, only evre made it to the data center) AMD64 is also known as x86-64, or an x86 chip with 64 bit extensions. All modern x86 processors are x86-64. Intel and AMD have a cross licensing agreement. ARM 64 is slowly coming into its own and will likely be a legitimate alternative in the near future. Right now basically chromebooks.

As for Windows, both, you can choose to use Windows Vista, 7, 8.1, or 10 as 32bit or 64 bit. Not really any reason to run 32bit Windows unless you have, at this point, very legacy 16bit software. You would be limited to a maximum addressable total memory of 4GB. 64 bit Windows is not capable of running 16bit applications.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
So you mean it's a 64bit processor, right? If so, what would x64 mean then?

If you want a detailed answer I cant do better than a google search, here is a wiki on x86-64. The 8600k is a 64bit or 32bit processor it will work with a 32bit or 64bit OS. That should be all you need to know. If you want more info do a bit of research.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
\

It denotes a 64bit capable 100% compatible IBM desktop chip. These terms mutate and change over time.

Back when Macs used Motorola or PowerPC chips there was some significance when talking about PCs. Now your PCs, game consoles (Nintendo Switch excepted), and Apple PCs are all running x86-64.

Apple has plans to move to ARM64, but it still isn't clear when or if they will make that move. Development has been in the x86 camp for so long at this point.

There are plenty more CPU standards in the enterprise sector if you want to look into it.

64bit was necessary to increase the amount of memory that systems could support. AMD was first to the consumer market with the original 64bit single core FX processors. (My friend had one, caused all sorts of problems when we tried to play games with him). Intel soon followed with the first of the Prescott Pentiums (Pentium D being what most people ended up with)

The smartphone and tablet market hit the 32bit wall only a few years ago and most high end new devices are built on ARM64 processors now.

AMD and Intel had to hash out licensing at one point. AMD was paying Intel for x86 and Intel had to pay AMD for x64. I've not kept up but last I recall they had a cross licensing agreement where they called it equal. Not sure how AMD got away with selling the Ryzen IP to China though. Would have to look all that up. (Kind of waiting for the first sample of a Ryzen clone to show up for sale, but they aren't supposed to outside of Asia) I miss having more than two companies to pick from.

Get me my Cyrix/Voodoo combination back.

Solution
Apr 5, 2019
\

64bit was necessary to increase the amount of memory that systems could support. AMD was first to the consumer market with the original 64bit single core FX processors. (My friend had one, caused all sorts of problems when we tried to play games with him). Intel soon followed with the first of the Prescott Pentiums (Pentium D being what most people ended up with)

The smartphone and tablet market hit the 32bit wall only a few years ago and most high end new devices are built on ARM64 processors now.

AMD and Intel had to hash out licensing at one point. AMD was paying Intel for x86 and Intel had to pay AMD for x64. I've not kept up but last I recall they had a cross licensing agreement where they called it equal. Not sure how AMD got away with selling the Ryzen IP to China though. Would have to look all that up. (Kind of waiting for the first sample of a Ryzen clone to show up for sale, but they aren't supposed to outside of Asia) I miss having more than two companies to pick from.

Get me my Cyrix/Voodoo combination back.
Thank you for your detailed answer. I highly appreciate it.